carbon fiber and nickel (a nickle, really)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from theidlemind

theidlemind

Not the brightest idea I've had, not for the faint of heart.
There is a lot of nickle in a nickle and nickle is very hard stuff.
Wouldn't even want to think about using a scroll saw like Seamus does.

But he did inspire me.

Pen is an Elegant Beauty. Silmar41 liquid.
Critiques on the pen and the pictures are welcome, good and bad.....

Thanks guys and ladies.....

Attachments

• bp003a.jpg
    bp003a.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 495
  • bp003b.jpg
    bp003b.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 535
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

theidlemind

Great looking pen, but i've got to ask. How did you get it to bend smoothly? I been trying to bend one for a walking cane

I drill a hole in scrap wood the same diameter as the covered tube, then cut it in half (like half a tunnel), then take a smaller diameter pen punch and press it.

sorta like this, sideways....

O|)
Press>
O))

JD Combs Sr

Great looking pen, but i've got to ask. How did you get it to bend smoothly? I been trying to bend one for a walking cane

I drill a hole in scrap wood the same diameter as the covered tube, then cut it in half (like half a tunnel), then take a smaller diameter pen punch and press it.

sorta like this, sideways....

O|)
Press>
O))

Same method I have used to bend some watch parts in steam-punk pens. Use hard wood such as maple. The wood is hard but not hard enough to damage the part.

Love the pen BTW.

SDB777

Nice pen.

BTW,

The nickel comprises 75 percent copper and 25 percent nickel, making its name a bit of a misnomer

Quarters are two layers of cupro-nickel (75 percent copper, 25 percent nickle) covering a core of copper.

Same ingredients...wierd huh?

Scott

Uh, looks like you destroyed a 1950 (D) nickel. Worth millions.

NOT (a '50D in mint would retail for $30 - maybe). Sorry. Couldn't resist. Really nice pen. Wonderful choice pairning it with the carbon fiber blank.

David - Not to worry. Anybody who is selling a bag of buffaloes is going to go through them before they go out the door and remove the valuable ones. In any case there's only a couple that have value. And that's usually if they're in "mint" condition.

Funny story, though - my Dad was a sometimes coin guy and once he heard somewhere that the 1950D was going to be rare. So he goes out and gets a brand spanking new roll. They were the 40 cleanest nickels I ever saw! He would get them out on occasion and show them to us (3 kids, a brother and a sister). He'd say they were going to fund our college education. Well, one turned up missing and he swore that my (older) sister snuck one and used it to buy a candy bar. Dad's gone and Judy isn't talking.

drgoretex

COOL!

Is that legal there? We can't legally use our own currency in such a way as to take it out of circulation...

Ken

Top Bottom