Carbon Fiber Jr Gent 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from John M

John M

This was my first carbon fiber, I made it for my boss for christmas. He is not into pens, but I thought he might like this since he is a gearhead. I was low on cash so I thought I would make a pen, but turns out the pen was costs me about $25 bucks anyways, lol. Plus a good 2 1/2 hours of time since I was being really careful. I had problems with it chipping a little bit, I was lucky to hide the only chip I could not get rid of under the clip. I am really happy with the way it turned out, I will get me a couple more blanks soon. This is probably my favorite kit to make. And they write really well. Got the blank from Exotic Blanks, kit from Rockler.

Comment welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• CIMG0387.jpg
    CIMG0387.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 224
  • CIMG0388.jpg
    CIMG0388.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jasontg99

Great looking pen! Perfect timing of this post as I just received my carbon fiber blanks today. I can't wait to get started on them. I just hope to god I do not have to spend 2.5 hours on each of them. Any advice?

CaptG

Good looking pen John. I have turned many of those blanks and use a round scraper, light cuts at 3000 rpm to bring the blank to a true round, then switch to a very sharp skew laid over almost like a scraper with light cuts to finish. Your chip out problems will go away. You can also fill chips with ca, then return and polish and never tell the difference. I sold an exact twin to your pen today. Keep up the good work.

John M

Thanx for the advice. I am pretty limited on my tools. I used a roughing gouge the whole time, lol. I took a long time because when I spend money on a blank, I had to save for it, and if I chunk it out or something I will be pretty upset. I took even longer the the snake skin 308 I did a few weeks ago. I am just being careful. I am so limited on time lately that I lose the feeling of the tools when I am turning, I get it back at the end of the pen, but one pen every couple of weeks just does not cut it. And I keep getting blanks, lol. Have a pretty big pile. I have a ton from Wolftat that I want to do, just no time.

jttheclockman

Thanx for the advice. I am pretty limited on my tools. I used a roughing gouge the whole time, lol. I took a long time because when I spend money on a blank, I had to save for it, and if I chunk it out or something I will be pretty upset. I took even longer the the snake skin 308 I did a few weeks ago. I am just being careful. I am so limited on time lately that I lose the feeling of the tools when I am turning, I get it back at the end of the pen, but one pen every couple of weeks just does not cut it. And I keep getting blanks, lol. Have a pretty big pile. I have a ton from Wolftat that I want to do, just no time.

You have to get yourself new tools, dude. I use a skew for just about all my pens weather it is wood or acrylic. You need to be able to feel the cuts. The roughing gouge will not allow you to do this with regularity. You did do a great job with it and these are really nice to work with. I had many people pick them up at my shows this past year but never sold one. They did not know what the material was and because the casting is so clear they were expecting to feel the roughness of the material but were surprised. I think they make a great highend pen and look very proffesional.

Thanks for showing and have a great day.

Top Bottom