Carbon,copper and stainless Atrax

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

I have been doing a few blanks with carbon fiber, copper and stainless steel braids lately and put some on the Atrax components. I really like the braid patterns under resin and think they make some very sell-able pens.
Thanks for looking, comments welcome
Brian Kort
KnB pen blanks

IMG_9759.JPG

IMG_9757.JPG

IMG_9822.JPG

IMG_9826.JPG

IMG_9763.JPG

IMG_9762.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jjartwood

Nice stuff,Have you tried bright colors on the tubes for the stainless ? It seems that the weave may be open enough (and I'm sure it's the nature of the weave,not a flaw in
the workmanship ) that a bright color may show thru just enough to add a hint of a second
color. Just a Thought, But all in all those are a for sure must have
Are they up yet?
Mark

Nice stuff,Have you tried bright colors on the tubes for the stainless ? It seems that the weave may be open enough (and I'm sure it's the nature of the weave,not a flaw in
the workmanship ) that a bright color may show thru just enough to add a hint of a second
color. Just a Thought, But all in all those are a for sure must have
Are they up yet?
Mark
I did paint the tubes black. I have not really thought of a bright color.
Yes, they are up :)

Sawdust46

Geantiful pens! I have done a few carbon fiber castings but have trouble getting the sleeves to fit snuggly on the tubes so there is room for watch parts, decals etc. How do you get them to fit so tightly?

Haynie

Love that copper and Stainless.

I have cut both for other purposes and it was a giant PIA, but it was wider than .5 inches. How were these to cut?

Geantiful pens! I have done a few carbon fiber castings but have trouble getting the sleeves to fit snuggly on the tubes so there is room for watch parts, decals etc. How do you get them to fit so tightly?
What I do is turn wood plugs for the ends letting them stick out around 1/2"and sand them on my disk sander to the same as the tube circumference. Then I push the material over the tube and tape one end with electrical tape and run my fingers kinda pulling the material to the other end, getting it tighter to the tube. Then I tape the other end, wedge in a mold and cast. With the metal sleeves, I trim off what is sticking past the plugs with a scissors so it doesn't get pushed back when I am wedging it in the mold.

oneptbuk

What I do is turn wood plugs for the ends letting them stick out around 1/2"and sand them on my disk sander to the same as the tube circumference. Then I push the material over the tube and tape one end with electrical tape and run my fingers kinda pulling the material to the other end, getting it tighter to the tube. Then I tape the other end, wedge in a mold and cast. With the metal sleeves, I trim off what is sticking past the plugs with a scissors so it doesn't get pushed back when I am wedging it in the mold.

So you don't glue them to the tubes? Do you find they cast better that way?

Very nice pens; clean lines..... I do like the color of the copper

So you don't glue them to the tubes? Do you find they cast better that way?

Very nice pens; clean lines..... I do like the color of the copper
No, they are not glued to the tubes. The resin glues the sleeves to the tubes.

You should give photography lessons. Your pens are beautiful.

I promise, I am no photography expert. I just have a foam board box, two shop lights and a 250ish dollar Canon S1. I just messed around with what worked and leave the setting the same. If I need to, I change the shutter speed. Anything else that needs to be done, I do in Picasa.
IMG_8192.JPG

Top Bottom