Caramel Swirl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

This is a new design for me, it’s my first closed end pen. This is a Lucite from Italy called Caramel Swirl.

The pen kit is a platinum Gentlemen’s fountain pen. I used a pin chuck to turn the body of the pen without the typical end hardware.

200612213825_IMG_4207.jpg

I tried for a form that had a smooth flow, I tried for a long taper and ended up with this shape. The Lucite is translucent so I used a chemical to blacken the brass tube. The effect of the blackening and the CA glue gave a textured look with some depth to the pen .

200612213850_IMG_4204.jpg

I like the potential for new shapes, this will not be my last.

Thanks for viewing,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Radman

All I can say is <b>WOW</b>!!![:p][:p][:p][:p]
That has to be about the deepest richest blank you used that I ever saw. You did a terrific job and should be VERY proud of this one!
Thanks for sharing![:)]
Radman[8D]

Originally posted by Tom McMillan
<br />Really "Great Looking Pen" Jim!!! Hey, where do you get the lucite material if you don't mind me asking????[:)] Also, how does the lucite turn???

Thanks Tom!

The Lucite is from Pipe Makers Emporium in Phoenix. It turns nicely like celluloid...I'd try it!

Originally posted by Radman
<br />All I can say is <b>WOW</b>!!![:p][:p][:p][:p]
That has to be about the deepest richest blank you used that I ever saw. You did a terrific job and should be VERY proud of this one!
Thanks for sharing![:)]
Radman[8D]

Thanks Tom,

I appreciate your kind words and thoughts..[:D][:D]

MDWine

I just picked up my caramel swirl from Jim today. I'm concerned about the tubes showing. This material is very transluscent! You blackend your tubes, ever done any in another color? What glue did you use? JimGo recommended epoxy... just curious.

TomServo

I have to say - I like the pen, I hate the blank. I like the swirl but the transparent amber color just looks like old plastic to me. I like how you drilled that little "v" shape in the bottom end, also - is that from a brad point bit?

smoky10

The craftsmanship of the pen is really good but I can't say I like the blank at all.It is so transparent that I don't think it goes well with a closed end pen.

Originally posted by MDWine
<br />I just picked up my caramel swirl from Jim today. I'm concerned about the tubes showing. This material is very transluscent! You blackend your tubes, ever done any in another color? What glue did you use? JimGo recommended epoxy... just curious.

Hi Michael,

I would paint the inside ofthe blank next time prior to glueing in the tube...I used CA glue.

It is very transparent, not sure I am going to use it again, it's a bit of a distraction from the shape.

Originally posted by TomServo
<br />I have to say - I like the pen, I hate the blank. I like the swirl but the transparent amber color just looks like old plastic to me. I like how you drilled that little "v" shape in the bottom end, also - is that from a brad point bit?

Hi Tom,

YES that is the brad point...too funny! I am okay with the blanks and colour, still struggling with the transparancy though and the tube, it makes you think ..Thanks for your honest feedback, I appreciate it!

[:D]

Originally posted by smoky10
<br />The craftsmanship of the pen is really good but I can't say I like the blank at all.It is so transparent that I don't think it goes well with a closed end pen.

Hi Tom,

I Do appreciate your HONEST feedback, thank you
[:D]

I am still wondering how to use this material on a closed end pen or if I will save the rest for a capped one... I have another blank that is opaque ready to go .... I will try the shape on that one and see how it turns out....

Oh, and the lucite on the cap developed a crack after I shot these images...UGH!!

[B)]

driften

You know something, I bet it would have been nicer if you had made it tubeless.
Try a closed end version tubeless sometime with that material.

Originally posted by driften
<br />You know something, I bet it would have been nicer if you had made it tubeless.

Thank You...

can you give me a lead so I can teach myself how to do that?

Thanks!!

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

driften

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />
<br />You know something, I bet it would have been nicer if you had made it tubeless.

Thank You...

Thanks!!

Its really not that hard to do it tubeless. Basicly you have to use a slightly smaller drill bit. The idea is to make the hole the same size as the outside of the fittings (or inside of the brass tube). You will have to glue in the fittings.

I have done a number of tubeless pens using acrylic that way. If you use CA for the fittings make sure the CA has cured before putting the parts in the fittings or you can get white CA forming on it or it end up bonding the parts together from the CA fumes.

<br />
Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />

Thank You...

Thanks!!

Its really not that hard to do it tubeless. Basicly you have to use a slightly smaller drill bit. The idea is to make the hole the same size as the outside of the fittings (or inside of the brass tube). You will have to glue in the fittings.

I have done a number of tubeless pens using acrylic that way. If you use CA for the fittings make sure the CA has cured before putting the parts in the fittings or you can get white CA forming on it or it end up bonding the parts together from the CA fumes.

Thanks very Much Jeff!!

I can visualize this now, great instruction for me and I appreciate you sharing that with us...very kind o you!!

[:D][:D][:D][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom