Captive ring pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from neon007

Status
Not open for further replies.

neon007

I saw one of these at a show once and thought it was the coolest thing. Well I was looking around and found the tutorial on making them. So it was a no-brainer for me to give it a try. I used a black Ti slimline. The wood is cherry burl with amboyna burl segments and ring. For a little contrast the main pen is CA finished and the ring is finished with Tung oil. Hope you like it. All comments welcome and encouraged. Thanks.

cr.jpg

cr1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Nice! Great materials and execution. This is one my (long list) of to-trys. This one is a nice mix of good looks and still being functional.

neon007

My secret is that the ring is just small enough to not come off. Therefore I kind of wedge it on one side and do half. Then when that side dries I switch sides. It takes a bit but worth it I think.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
The pen looks really nice but I think the uniqueness of the captive ring is lost on a segmented pen because the viewer can think "oh, he just slid the ring on before he glued it together". WE know that isn't true but non-turners may not.

GK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom