CaptG's Magical Time Machine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. It's one of Gary's (CaptG) beautiful timepiece blanks on a an Emperor Rollerball. Gary did most of it :) ! Normally, turning pens in the early A.M. hours is a therapeutic outlet for me. However, I have to admit that turning this blank down was done with a degree of anxiousness knowing how much time Gary spent getting this blank just right for me. The watch pieces are almost look like they are suspended under glass. The pictures do not do the pen justice.
Because Gary took a little extra time getting my Emperor blank done, he sent me a complimentary Sierra watch blank that has a Mickey Mouse face on it.
That was over the top as far as customer service!
As usual, comments are welcome but most of all thanks for just looking. Doc:).

Attachments

• Emperor Watch Pen_2.jpg
    Emperor Watch Pen_2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 409
  • Emperor Watch Pen_1.jpg
    Emperor Watch Pen_1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 319
  • Emperor Watch Pen.jpg
    Emperor Watch Pen.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

So your the one that bought the blanks I wanted:redface:, Doc keep that under lock and key as the next time I'm in Houston I will steal it:wink:. As always your morning therapy session was a success.

beachlover

WOW Doc! I think that's got to be one of the most beautiful pens I've seen. Amazing job. Congrats to you (and Gary). Well done!

Buzzzz4

Nicely done! I was drooling over that time piece in it's raw form in Gary's shop. That will be a very pricey pen. Gorgeous!

PenPal

Hi Doc,

I share your admiration for Gary, his workmanship together with his craftmanship and being a good all round guy.

When I made mine I was incredibly nervous as well, because I have had an extraordinary day and will retire to bed shortly I want you to know both this pen and your Amboyna Pen lift me to ensure the benchmark is retained for me as well.

My advanced planning for your Burl Desk rest is bubbling along you will have a unique piece of me at the end of July when my daughter returns to to the states, she is due here at the end of June.

I was fortunate to get Golden Amboyna (the burl with the swirl) in stick form 1 1/2 to 2 inches square up to 3 feet long a few years ago. New Guinea Rosewood is also a part of the Narra family also beautiful.

Take care my friend enjoy seeing all your pens.

Kind regards Peter.

S.A.Mappin

It always impresses me to see one of these pens.

I think my favorite so far has been the Mickey Mouse and Betty Boop. Wonderful job both of you!!!

el_d

Very nice Doc. Proudly place that one in your shirt pocket as you go to work. No matter how it's hangin.....

Gary does a very fine job.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
If that's therapy, you should be cured. If I recall, there's not much room on the Emperor to work with. Gary is no doubt the master watchpen blank maker and you did a really nice job putting on the finishing touches.

LanceD

Beautiful pen and execution Doc. I'm sure you had a few beads of sweat dripping down your forehead while turning that one.

Mazzywv

That's really a nice pen. You did a really nice job. I have wanted to get my hands on some of these blanks for a couple years now but with no luck. To me this Rolex has much more bling as a pen than as a watch!

JohnU

Beautiful work ! ( both of you ). I love the look of these pens and Gary puts out an unbelievable blank. I was lucky to get a Sierra Minnie Mouse blank at the MPG this year, for my mom. I wasn't as anxious as I was nervous when turning it. Lol

renowb

Man that is AWESOME Doc! It is a masterpiece for both of you! I love it!

wizard

Beautiful work ! ( both of you ). I love the look of these pens and Gary puts out an unbelievable blank. I was lucky to get a Sierra Minnie Mouse blank at the MPG this year, for my mom. I wasn't as anxious as I was nervous when turning it. Lol

LOL. I have to admit I get nervous turning your blanks too....As I turn it your blanks down, I forget sometimes about the magnifying effect of the clear resin. The feathers look like they are so close to the surface it's almost like you could touch them. When I turn blanks like yours, Seamus's and now Gary's, I feel like one slip and could end up with a face full of feathers, a quarter or watch parts, respectively. No matter how many I do successfully, each time I start turning one, the nervousness comes back.:rolleyes: Doc

mrburls

Awesome job Doc. Gary's work is over the top on these watch pen blanks. You've got to hold one and look close as to how all those small parts look like they are floating around behind the resin as Doc mentioned.

I've got another Rolex Emperor I need to get turned and seeing this one may have me in the shop Thursday turning it down.

Keith "mrburls"

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That's top shelf for sure. I absolutely love these timepiece blanks.
I remember when I first saw them here and wondered how long the novelty would last, bearing in mind the vast amount of effort that goes into making them. I now believe that as long as they are made perfectly like Gary does and then finished off perfectly like you have done, then they will remain timeless !! ( LOL pun intended :biggrin:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

LOL. I have to admit I get nervous turning your blanks too....As I turn it your blanks down, I forget sometimes about the magnifying effect of the clear resin. The feathers look like they are so close to the surface it's almost like you could touch them. When I turn blanks like yours, Seamus's and now Gary's, I feel like one slip and could end up with a face full of feathers, a quarter or watch parts, respectively. No matter how many I do successfully, each time I start turning one, the nervousness comes back.:rolleyes: Doc

When you turn as much as you do, there is a tendency (at least there was for me) to become complacent. This leads to "inattentive mistakes"!

I believe these "more intricate" blanks bring our minds back to the " task at hand", resulting in exceptional successes!!

Congratulations and thanks for the vicarious thrill!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom