Captain's Carbon Fiber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fibonacci

Fibonacci

I put this together with a Captain G carbon fiber blank from Ed. I was worried about turning into the fiber, so it is a bit proud on the front.

Anyone know the trick to getting carbon fiber seamless? I am speculating they he has a source for carbon fiber tubes. I have some specially made aluminized carbon fiber that I would love to try this on if someone knows a technique for it.

Attachments

• CF_1.jpg
    CF_1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 230
  • CF_2.jpg
    CF_2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 182
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Good looking pen. You can turn it to the bushing and not get into the carbon fiber. You are close to right about tubes, I use carbon fiber sleeves and glue them on the tubes. I do not know how you can get away from a seam with sheets of carbon fiber.

Fibonacci

I figured that I could, since Ed sells them for the kit, but this being the most expensive blank I have bought, I wanted to be on the safe side.

I will turn the next one tighter. I plan on making a couple more.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks for your confidence in us!! CaptG makes all the carbon fiber blanks we sell, so please consider HIM the expert--I'm just his "marketing friend"!!

Great job on the blank---nice looking pen!!

Boz

I have turned many carbon blanks from Capt G. The vertex is my favorite. For what you get the price of the blank is not out of line in terms of price. IMHO

Fibonacci

I have turned many carbon blanks from Capt G. The vertex is my favorite. For what you get the price of the blank is not out of line in terms of price. IMHO

I completely agree. I have two reasons for wanting to do it myself:

1. I like doing things because I can. Nothing is more fun than giving someone a gift and being able to tell them you made it yourself. Buying precast blanks is all fine and good, but being able to make them yourself makes any kind of gift cooler. If this was a business for me, I wouldn't think twice about buying them in bulk.

2. I have some aluminized carbon fiber left over from some research I did a few years back. My team just recently got our patent awards finalized and I would like to make some pens to commemorate it.

Top Bottom