Cappachino Curls Custom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Joe S.

Joe S.

I still have a ways to go, but I'm really starting to get this kitless deal! Then nib and feed are from exotic blanks (Dawn let try some out for her) and are nice and smooth writing. C&C encouraged, remember Carl's thread!

WP_20140626_005.jpg

WP_20140626_006.jpg

WP_20140626_007.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
I can't see a doggone thing wrong Joe...I like the clip, I know...sounds dumb, but those can make a pen. My only thought is the section looks a little deep...I could be way wrong though. Big high 5!

mmyshrall

Really nice job, Joe. I like the choice of clip and the turning appears to be very well done. My concern is also about the section. How does the straight sided section feel in the hand? While I have no pen that has a similar shaped section, I wonder if the shape of this one would feel natural or ???

I like how you matched the pattern for the cap/finial and the finish on this appears to be excellent based on the photos provided. What nib are you using on this? What ink supply system are you using for this one?

Michael

Joe S.

It feels ok, but not great. I broke 4 sections before this and I didn't want this to be #5 because it messed up shaping it. I'll eventually make a section mandril and not have to worry any more. It has one of the heritence upgrade nibs from EB, which came with the feed. I miscalculated and it is just barely to small for a piston converter (but I could try and shorten the knob... Hmm.) so it has a mini vacuum converter in it with some Sepia ink from Private Reserve. I had trouble getting ink in it, and I've been meaning to look up how to use it properly.

Thank you for all you replies!

BSea

It feels ok, but not great. I broke 4 sections before this and I didn't want this to be #5 because it messed up shaping it.
LOL, I think I average about 2.5 sections per pen.:rolleyes:

I think you did a great job over all. I agree with the others on the section though. I think it would look better with a taper and a lip, or concave. I prefer the tape with a lip.

OZturner

Beautiful Kit less Pen, Joe.
Superb Blank, Great Profile and Proportions,
I hear what you have experienced , but I would love to see the Section Shaped.
It is easy for me to say, but then again I am not making it.
Love it,
Brian.

Twissy

Very well done Joe! Some people actually prefer writing with a straight section because the added girth makes it more comfortable for longer writing spells.
My only critique is I would prefer the feed to be deeper into the section so the black plastic is flush with the end of the section.
Keep it up!

BSea

Very well done Joe! Some people actually prefer writing with a straight section because the added girth makes it more comfortable for longer writing spells.
My only critique is I would prefer the feed to be deeper into the section so the black plastic is flush with the end of the section.
Keep it up!
I've always wondered about this. I use the JOWO Nibs & holders, and they have a small lip on the end of the holder. I've seen several pens that show the feed with this lip showing, where others show it flush. I'm guessing that it's personal preference, but the flush looks better IMHO, but I've done it both ways.

Joe S.

I'm halfway into the next pen, and it the feed actually goes into the section a little. It wasn't intentional, but I kind of like it.

Brooks803

Keep it up!
I've always wondered about this. I use the JOWO Nibs & holders, and they have a small lip on the end of the holder. I've seen several pens that show the feed with this lip showing, where others show it flush. I'm guessing that it's personal preference, but the flush looks better IMHO, but I've done it both ways.

I think it's mostly personal preference Bob. I like to keep little lip exposed. Depending on how you shape your section you can get that area very thin and could flex and potentially snap if you have it inside.

Joe - I do like your pen a lot. I agree that the nib housing needs to be further inside the section. I like straight barrels and squared ends so this one suits me well. The only thing though is that the material (swirls in particular) don't work with the squared ends. That's just my personal view. One thing you could do to tie things together even better is put that same angle cut you have at the lip of the cap on the end of the section. It really depends on how you hold your pens, but with that little angle cut you can place your fingers more comfortably at the end of the section.

The recessed clip looks great and was a great choice for the body style.

What threads did you use for the cap to body? Looks like 12mm but is it triple start or single? I'm asking, bc if they're triple start I see that you don't have that little relief cut between the threads and body of the pen. That could mean on two of the three leads it'll cap cockeyed. With the little relief cut (you only have to make this cut as deep as the pitch of the threads) it will allow the cap to seat flush every time.

Can't wait to see the next one!

Joe S.

Keep it up!

I think it's mostly personal preference Bob. I like to keep little lip exposed. Depending on how you shape your section you can get that area very thin and could flex and potentially snap if you have it inside.

Joe - I do like your pen a lot. I agree that the nib housing needs to be further inside the section. I like straight barrels and squared ends so this one suits me well. The only thing though is that the material (swirls in particular) don't work with the squared ends. That's just my personal view. One thing you could do to tie things together even better is put that same angle cut you have at the lip of the cap on the end of the section. It really depends on how you hold your pens, but with that little angle cut you can place your fingers more comfortably at the end of the section.

What threads did you use for the cap to body? Looks like 12mm but is it triple start or single? I'm asking, bc if they're triple start I see that you don't have that little relief cut between the threads and body of the pen. That could mean on two of the three leads it'll cap cockeyed. With the little relief cut (you only have to make this cut as deep as the pitch of the threads) it will allow the cap to seat flush every time.

13mm triple leads. There is an indent in the cap the achieves the same thing for it seating flush. I'm not sure why I did it that way, I just did. :rolleyes:

Timebandit

Keep it up!

13mm triple leads. There is an indent in the cap the achieves the same thing for it seating flush. I'm not sure why I did it that way, I just did. :rolleyes:

Bob, i do it the way you do it. I make a chamfer on the inside rim of the cap to accomplish it seating all the way and sitting flush. I prefer this look over removing the back few threads as Brooks and other do it. Its just a personal preference thing. I think it looks better this way. I also make some of my barrels the same diameter as the treads on the pen, so i wouldnt be able to make that relief if in that case. There are many ways to skin a cat.

I also prefer that the feed housing be flush with the front section as others have said. I only let it stick out if there is a reason that i cant recess it. I just prefer if flush. I also prefer a little shape to the front section, but i do know of people who prefer this shape for long writing sessions. Great pen, and look forward to your next one.

Marko50

Nicely done Joe! I love the color and richness of the swirls and such in the blank. It's all easy on the eyes!

Top Bottom