Cantaloupe Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

A few weeks ago I ordered some of the Rhino Plastic blanks fro the fine folks at Exotic Blanks, and finally go around yesterday to turning some pens, this one is a Gun Metal Cigar dressed in a Rhino Cantaloupe blank which was glued up using green tinted epoxy, tinted with US Composites green dye. The blank was a pleasure to turn, and the way this lights up is pretty hard to catch on a camera, even out in the sun. pic #3 shows some of the scintillation the best, thanks to Ed and Dawn, I love the material and wish my casting came out as easy to turn as this Rhino Plastic does.
Thanks for looking and comments are very welcome.

Attachments

• Cantaloupe-1.jpg
    Cantaloupe-1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Cantaloupe-2.jpg
    Cantaloupe-2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 178
  • Cantaloupe-3.jpg
    Cantaloupe-3.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 224
  • Cantaloupe-4.jpg
    Cantaloupe-4.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 145
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

That looks real nice. You can tell in the second and third photo that it really dances in the light.

bitshird

Nice looking pens Ken!! Have not tried the dye/glue trick.
Gary, I hate using CA to glue up, and the amount of PR dye that's needed is so small it's unbelievable, If you twist the tubes good going in, it spreads the Epoxy and doesn't show any glue or air gaps, I rough my tubes with 80 grit Emery Cloth, so they hold the Epoxy very well.

I like the green Ken! looks really good.
John, the blanks are very deceptive, you can't tell what they are will finish out like. I'm thoroughly sold on them.

Top Bottom