Cantalope, Minnie Mouse and more...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

I managed to get in the shop yesterday to finish these Mothers Day pens. The first one is for my wife. (She picked her blank and kit). Its Cantalope Rhino Plastic from Exoticblanks on a Panache. It was the first time I turned this type of blank. Rhino plastic turned and sanded very easly. I painted the hole white and the colors really stand out. I'll be getting more of this stuff.

The second is for my mom. Its one of CaptG's watch part blanks I got from Exoticblanks at the MPG this year. Its on a Blk Ti & Gold Ti elegant sierra also from Exoticblanks. I cant say enough about this blank. Gary really puts out top notch work. It turned smoothly and polished up to a glass finish. Great work Gary!

The third is a rose laser kit from Constance I picked up during the birthday bash. It was the perfect pen for my Grandma, whose name is Rose. Its on a blk Ti & gold Ti diplomat from Exoticblanks with a CA finish.

The fourth pen is a gold Triton with a Jeff Powell four leaf clover blank, all from Exoticblanks. This one was for my mother in law who is proud of her Irish heritage. It was the first Triton I made and really gave this pen the expensive look I was hoping for. I can never say enough about Jeff's blanks. Ive never had one I didnt love and they turn like butter. Great work Jeff!

The fifth pen is a vertex click. My wife won this "CaptG" carbon fiber blank at the MPG. Its my first vertex and I really like the look of the carbon fiber on it so I will be keeping this one for me. lol

The last is a black ti vertex fountain pen I decided to try after a guy at work asked if I could make a fountain pen with a cap that doesnt screw. This one has the magnetic cap. The blank is an M3 black & white mokume which I thought fit with the black ti really well. My wife grabbed this one for work while I was away. She's a pen-a-holic !

Sorry for the lack of photography skills. Thanks for looking. All comments welcome.

Attachments

• panache.JPG
    panache.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 237
  • panache2.JPG
    panache2.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 194
  • minnie.JPG
    minnie.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 316
  • rose.JPG
    rose.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 198
  • triton.JPG
    triton.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 249
  • triton2.JPG
    triton2.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 210
  • vortex click.JPG
    vortex click.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 216
  • vortex fountain.JPG
    vortex fountain.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 265
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Beautiful pens John!!

And I can relate to the wife "problem".. I used to call my wife a "pen klepto" long before I found this hobby! I wouldn't be able to fine a nice pen of mine, so I'd ask have you seen my new nice pen, and she'd answer with "what pen?" and I'd know it was gone for good.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Beautiful pens John!!

And I can relate to the wife "problem".. I used to call my wife a "pen klepto" long before I found this hobby! I wouldn't be able to fine a nice pen of mine, so I'd ask have you seen my new nice pen, and she'd answer with "what pen?" and I'd know it was gone for good.

Maybe we could coin the term "Kleptopeniac"!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
EXCELLENT choices, John!!!

Thanks for making the Cantaloupe!! I have seen the blanks for a month now and kept threatening to make a pen---the size of the penache really allows the blank to show off. And your finish "shines"!!

Another great combo on the shamrock and triton--that gold really enhances the blank--along with Jeff's choice of a little extra green added to the white background--makes for a really nice overall look.

All the pens look great, but those were the comments Dawn and I agreed on over a slice of pizza for lunch!!

Keep makin pens--you have a GREAT eye!!
Ed & Dawn

mrburls

That's quiet a collection of pens you did there John. All look good but my favorite is Minnie Mouse pen. I love Gary's castings.
I'm sure all the woman will like their pens.

Keith "mrburls"

thewishman

Nice variety. You have a wide range of looks and materials and they even make a nice group. I'm not much of a fan of gold components, but the clover looks good with the gold.

wizard

John, Those are all beautifully made pens for all the lucky people in your life.
I'm sure they will all be treasured keepsakes. The Rhinoplastic Panache is wicked looking..in a good way.:)
I can also empathize..I have a kleptopeniac at home..actually several of them.:eek:.. Regards, Doc

JohnU

Thank you all ! Ed I think you hit the nail on the head.... "Kleptopeniac" it is. Im not a big fan of gold parts by themselves either but it really worked well with this blank. I really prefer the two tone gold / black ti. Thanks again!

Top Bottom