Canadiana History

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

One of the finest descriptions that defines Canada is the old motto that we are "Hewers of wood and drawers of water". In its' simplest form it means that we are a nation that is blessed with an abundance of natutal resources. Along this theme, I've crafted a special pen that is made out of old growth birch, which is a first that I am aware since joining IAP. This particular specie came from the bottom of historic Georgian Bay, a part of The Great Lakes in Ontario, Canada.

Harvesting of these logs is regulated and licenced by the government of Canada. I was quite fortunate to get a small stash and mill it into pen blanks. You will note that OG birch is distinguished from regular birch by the disctinct, almost green tint that comes from the minerals imbedded from the bottom of Georgian Bay. I hope that you enjoy the pen and a piece of our rich Canadiana heritage.
-Peter-

2006419234945_og1.jpg

200641923500_og2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

So these are like "sinker" logs? Interesting stuff and a nice looking pen in the top photo. The bottom photo is too dark.[:(]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Beautiful, Peter. That greenish cast reminds me of some of the bog oak I have. It's amazing what lots of chemicals and no oxygen will do for a piece of wood! [8D]

wood-of-1kind

Thanks to everyone for your nice comments.

Ron, it is estimated that some of these logs (up to 48" dia) have been submerged on the bottom of Georgian Bay for well over 150 years. Remember that Canada is only 139 years 'young' as a nation[:D]

penbros

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />That's rich looking stuff, Peter. Nice![^] BTW, were you aware that you put the black ring on the nib assembly upside down?

He can just unscrew it and flip it round no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom