Can you see it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I got this blank from Bree with a bunch of other beauties. Thank you Bree! :biggrin: It is Black Ash Burl. Beautiful wood,matched up with a Black Ti Cigar. Can you see what's wrong with this pen? :redface: I use John Goodins (johnnycnc) bushings. For tose who don't know, John is good enough to look out for us,by putting the upper bushings & lower bushings in seperate ziplock baggies. I guess by now you've figured it out.:redface: Yes, even I can get the bushings mixed up. I think I can fix this but, just hate it happened with this awesome blank. Sorry Bree!

Attachments

• IMG_0702-1.JPG
    IMG_0702-1.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0703.JPG
    IMG_0703.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 270
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Toni

I have done it as well!! AND I was lead to believe it would only happen to me..LOL I think they should put the names on the bushings and which end they go on, I know it would be helpful for me

jaywood1207

I have done it as well!! AND I was lead to believe it would only happen to me..LOL I think they should put the names on the bushings and which end they go on, I know it would be helpful for me

Every time I finish using my cigar bushings I pull out a marker and mark my bushings for the next time. LT, LM, ST, and SM with the first letter indicating the barrel length (long or short) and the second letter indicating either middle or tip.

Mark

I swapped the two ends once. DUHHH, I should have checked, but it was too late.
Now I store them inline (correctly).

It happens...

chiefgreen

Hi Chuck, Yep, me too. Thought I was the only one.
A couple weeks ago I was turning a cigar pen, everything turned out great, except, when I put it together. It looked much like your picture. I checked the bushings, nope I had put them on correctly. Took a closer look at the bushings. They where so worn, when you looked at them closely you could actually see a curve. Live and learn. Wonder if I could melt them down and make a metal cigar pen from them. :)
Steve (chiefgreen)

Jon-wx5nco

I have 2 blanks, turned down and ready to go on a cigar pen that I store my bushings on. The reason I didn't put those blanks on a pen, is one split all the way down. I figured this wasn't a complete loss as I could store the bushings on them to keep everything straight.

chiefgreen

I have 2 blanks, turned down and ready to go on a cigar pen that I store my bushings on. The reason I didn't put those blanks on a pen, is one split all the way down. I figured this wasn't a complete loss as I could store the bushings on them to keep everything straight.

Great Idea, Jon!. I think I have ruined blanks enough to cover each pen I make. And probably a couple from ones I don't make!???? :)
Lived in Tulsa a couple years, met and married my wife there 42 years ago. Worked at McDonalds (airplanes not hamburgers) and went to Spartan.
Again, thanks for the good idea.

Steve (chiefgreen)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Consider this: A Sharpie will color the shiny metal bushings. Color every "pen nib" bushing RED. Once you have done this, it wakes you up as you put the tubes on the lathe---hopefully!!

For those who use black bushings, the silver pens will accomplish the same thing.

mrcook4570

How to make the pen usable and fit properly

1. Knock the parts out.
2. Match the parts with the barrel ends according to their diameters. This means the nib parts will be in the short barrel and the cap parts will be in the long barrel.
3. Assemble.
4. Sand or cut off part of the black plastic part of the refill so it extends and retracts properly.
5. Enjoy your new pen.

I recommend this only for your own personal use as you will need to modify the refill each time that it needs to be replaced.

Jgrden

I got this blank from Bree with a bunch of other beauties. Thank you Bree! :biggrin: It is Black Ash Burl. Beautiful wood,matched up with a Black Ti Cigar. Can you see what's wrong with this pen? :redface: I use John Goodins (johnnycnc) bushings. For tose who don't know, John is good enough to look out for us,by putting the upper bushings & lower bushings in seperate ziplock baggies. I guess by now you've figured it out.:redface: Yes, even I can get the bushings mixed up. I think I can fix this but, just hate it happened with this awesome blank. Sorry Bree!
:rotfl::laugh: That is the kind of mistakes that I make. Just working, working, working; everything going smoothly, looking forward to a great looking pen and then WTFH !?!?!?! (H=HAPPENED)

Willee

LOL ... sorry for laughing but I wish I had a dollar for every screw up I have made.

Learning to recover from them is part of the skill of pen turning.
We all learn from mistakes no matter who makes them.

Other than the misfit ... you did a good job with the wood.
Please post up another photo if you do find a way to save the project.
Worse comes to worse all you lost is the wood blank.

Willee

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Willee.Yeh I think I can handle this alright. One thing about it is,it's out of the ordinary way to turn a cigar!:biggrin:

jbostian

Well that is unfortunate. Aside from the mix up of the bushings it is a great looking pen. How have you been? I haven't been on the forum too much lately. That whole life thing is getting in the way of the things I want to do.

Jamie

lazyguy

Nice looking blank and add me to the chorus who have done that. So now I caliper the components and compare to bushing at least three time before mounting on the lathe and then again as I get close. If you watched me you would swear I was OCD.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice looking blank and add me to the chorus who have done that. So now I caliper the components and compare to bushing at least three time before mounting on the lathe and then again as I get close. If you watched me you would swear I was OCD.
That's a very impressive proceedure. In fact,definately,one I should follow.But,probably never will.:biggrin:

Rookie!!!!!!:wink::biggrin:
ROTFLMAO! This is the post I've been waiting for:redface::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: And look who it's from :tongue::tongue::tongue::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom