Can you name this wood ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

Pen blank is from a common wood and is naturaly a bright yellow. No dyes, just a clear finish. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0015 (270x800).jpg
    DSCF0015 (270x800).jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCF0016 (800x262).jpg
    DSCF0016 (800x262).jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 232
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

yea I was going to say Osage Orange also...

With a little help of color enhancement the gold has a little too much yellow...

Nice looking pen...

SDB777

Where did you get that 'Yellowheart'?

I've only seen the 'lighter' white-ish colored stuff.

Scott (little too much processing) B

plantman

yea I was going to say Osage Orange also...

With a little help of color enhancement the gold has a little too much yellow...

Nice looking pen...
.[/QUOTE

Bruce; Thank you ! My wife snatched this one as soon as it left the shop. Pen is chrome and gold and the wood is actualy a much more vibrant yellow than the photo shows. No photo tricks, just an unexpected amazing color in a wood. It's not Osage Orange or Yellow Heart, and it came from my property. Jim S

Last edited:

tseger

could be sap wood from a chinaberry tree, i dont know the scientific name for the species, all the the folks around here call it is chinaberry.

plantman

could be sap wood from a chinaberry tree, i dont know the scientific name for the species, all the the folks around here call it is chinaberry.

Tim; you are close. It is not sapwood and the vibrant yellow starts just under the bark and runs all the way through the wood. It originaly comes from Japan, but is found all over the world and has several names. Jim S

tseger

Tim; you are close. It is not sapwood and the vibrant yellow starts just under the bark and runs all the way through the wood. It originaly comes from Japan, but is found all over the world and has several names. Jim S

From my experience, you better enjoy it now, cause it wont hold that bright yellow color very long:mad:

plantman

One more hint. In the United States it is mostly trimmed down and used for landscape plantings, it's leaves are dark cherry red in summer and turns to gold in fall. In other parts of the world it is used for hedge rows. Jim S

One more hint. In the United States it is mostly trimmed down and used for landscape plantings, it's leaves are dark cherry red in summer and turns to gold in fall. In other parts of the world it is used for hedge rows. Jim S
Sumac!! or Hedge Apple aka Osage orange but I never seen one with red leaves so I am thinking sumac.... I am ever so sensitive to that I hate so see how I would react to the Poisonous variety.

plantman

I don't know if this will help, but, a tree is considered any plant with a permanently woody trunk and branches. A shrub is a woody plant smaller than a tree usualy having permanent stems. Now to confuse you a little more, a Bonsai, that may only be 8 inches tall, is classified as a tree or shrub that has been dwarfed by pruning. It's not a Bonsai. Jim S

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow, that certainly is bright. I know nothing about wood, but it reminds me of a blank/pen Curtis posted ages ago....could it have been some sort of cactus or locust wood?

I think Curtis used Algarita....?

Last edited:

plantman

Barberry.

BINGO!!!!! Berberis thumbergi 'atropurpureum or Japanese Red Barberry also known as Thuberg's Barberry or Red Barberry. Last week I was pulling out a hedgerow of these that had gotten about 6 feet tall and were out of control. I noticed as I removed them that anywhere the chain rubbed off the bark there was a very bright yellow underneath. I removed anything that was large nough to make a pen blank with and put them in the shop to dry. The color goes all the way through the blank. I know someone raised the question as to if the bright color would stay or faid. I turned the blank to size about 3 weeks ago, let it dry for two days, and Finished it with thick CA. My wife has been using it since it left the shop. I looked it over again today, and it is still as bright as ever. Time will tell. Thanks for all the guesses, I know it was a tough one, in all my years of woodworking and collecting wood, I have never seen such a vibrant yellow naturly in a wood. Boxwood would be the closest I have seen. Again thanks for your answers. Jim S

Last edited:
I was first exposed to Osage Orange a few weeks ago at a freedom pen turn a thon and that does look like that wood! I have a hunk of yellowheart here in my shop and think it looks like that too! Shavings and saw dust are canary yellow from both! Beautiful wood and even better work!

plantman

From my experience, you better enjoy it now, cause it wont hold that bright yellow color very long:mad:

Tim; My wife has carried and used the pen for almost 2 months now with no change in color as of yet. Hope it stays that way. Jim S

SDB777

Since the photo is over processed(too much saturation), it could be a piece of Lollobby Pine.....and since you already know what it is, why bother? It's not even fun.

Scott (show an un-touched up photo) B

plantman

Since the photo is over processed(too much saturation), it could be a piece of Lollobby Pine.....and since you already know what it is, why bother? It's not even fun.

Scott (show an un-touched up photo) B

Scott; Thank you for your consern. I am not a photo expert by any means. I try to match my background color as close as I can. Next I hold my pen up to the PC in order to match the true color. In this case I couldn't get the stunning yellow of the wood to match without washing it out. ( saturation). How many threads have you read where the poster isn't sure what the wood is. Without touching, seeing, cutting, or smelling it, the rest of us are only guessing also. The object of the thread was twofold. To show people what lies just outside your door step that you would never think of making a pen out of. Also the unexpected amazing yellow color of the Red Barberry. Second reason was to get members involved in the site. The pen had 1,273 looks and 36 replys. Only one person guessed what the wood was, but now quite a few know what it is and that it can be used to make a beautiful pen. It's main purpose was not to be fun, although I enjoyed the people's guesses, it was ment to inlighten and educate people about their surroundings and what can be used to make a stunning looking pen. I highly respect your work, comments, and conserns !!! Be Well ! Jim S

Top Bottom