Can I show off my very first pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fay Prozora

Fay Prozora

I just finished this pen and it is my very first one. It is not a real good one but I had a few problems with it. I could see a few mistakes as I put it together but next time I can do a better job of making a pen. After all I only have been turning for 2 days and this wood was so hard to work with. I will keep this pen so later in the future after making a few more of these, then I can look back and see if I had made any good progress. The wood had holes in it but I got around that ok. I can see I did not get down to the bushings like I wanted to. The twist doodad got bent and I was able to fix that and the pen writes real nice and the tip of the ink cartridge does not come all the way out for writing, but that was a problem I had with getting the twist thing down far enough. I'm proud of this pen any way. The wood is olivewood.. Thanks for looking at it... Fay

Attachments

• My very first pen-1 (640x480).jpg
    My very first pen-1 (640x480).jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 352
  • My first pen=2 (640x480).jpg
    My first pen=2 (640x480).jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 390
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Welcome to IAP and congrats on your first pen, Fay. Don't lose it, it will always bring back fond memories for you. :good::good:

Brian G

Hi Fay, and welcome.

I enjoy seeing first pen postings. You've identified what you want to work on for the next one.

I like the grain feature of your pen. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you correctly aligned the grain so that it flowed from the upper to the lower barrel. Good work.

nanosec12

Regardless of any flaws that you see, or that others may point out, I would like to say that it is a beautiful pen. I love the grain on the top, it makes the pen look special.

Congratulation on your first pen, and may there be many more in your future...

Fay Prozora

Thank you every one. I really enjoyed making this pen and I will make more. I saw a site some where that had some pen blanks and hardware on sale but darn if I can find it now. I will order once I find the site but not able to find it but it's ok. There will be other sales. Well going to go down and turn for a little while.. Take care and have a great evening Fay

Whaler

You are off to a real good start there Fay.
I will be happy to fix you up with a ton excess blanks that I have, all you have to do is pick them up. Drop me a PM if interested.

SDB777

Keeper. Don't forget to pull that one out a year from now...and ask yourself(where did all that money go?) The vortex has you now!!!!

Scott (we hooked another one...WOOHOO!!!) B

Gary Beasley

I just finished this pen and it is my very first one. It is not a real good one but I had a few problems with it. I could see a few mistakes as I put it together but next time I can do a better job of making a pen. After all I only have been turning for 2 days and this wood was so hard to work with. I will keep this pen so later in the future after making a few more of these, then I can look back and see if I had made any good progress. The wood had holes in it but I got around that ok. I can see I did not get down to the bushings like I wanted to. The twist doodad got bent and I was able to fix that and the pen writes real nice and the tip of the ink cartridge does not come all the way out for writing, but that was a problem I had with getting the twist thing down far enough. I'm proud of this pen any way. The wood is olivewood.. Thanks for looking at it... Fay

Welcome to the IAP Fay! You can correct the problem with the tip not coming out far enough by going back and pressing the transmission in a hair further. You can mount a bolt or flat ended screwdriver in your drill press and use that for a very nice arbor press, makes it easier to avoid pressing it too far. I used to use that when I first started turning pens. You just need to have a piece of wood on the bed so you don't damage the nib when pressing the transmission in.
Theres a lot of resources on this site, take your time and dig in to them.

plantman

Fay; Very well done for your first try and only two days into turning !! As most all here say, keep that first one so you can look back and see the changes you have made as you get a little more advanced. Go to Rockler.com, hit woodturning or outlet on the home page. They are selling out their pen turning supplies and have cut the prices drasticaly. This would be a great way to buy a number of kits and not put out to much of a cash output to start. Jim S

Fay Prozora

I will be happy to fix you up with a ton excess blanks that I have, all you have to do is pick them up. Drop me a PM if interested.

Dang! I didn't know you are in Sequim. We are still staying at our mother's house. She passed a week ago Friday and we have a house full of stuff to go through and such. Both me and my sister live in Port Angeles and we went there today to do some work there on her house and yard. So we are in Sequim also for a while yet. Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that. I have enough stuff to make a couple more pens and I was going to tonight but I'm just a bit tuckered out. Have a great evening.. Fay

Ross

Nice start Fay! Keep that pen and never let it go. One of my regrets is that I don't have my first pen. Remember Practice makes perfect. Shortly all your family and friends will want a "Fay pen"! Buy more blanks and kits!

bjbear76

Thank you every one. I really enjoyed making this pen and I will make more. I saw a site some where that had some pen blanks and hardware on sale but darn if I can find it now. I will order once I find the site but not able to find it but it's ok. There will be other sales. Well going to go down and turn for a little while.. Take care and have a great evening Fay

Fay, if you PM me your address, I'll be happy to send you a box of blanks.
Bill

Whaler

Dang! I didn't know you are in Sequim. We are still staying at our mother's house. She passed a week ago Friday and we have a house full of stuff to go through and such. Both me and my sister live in Port Angeles and we went there today to do some work there on her house and yard. So we are in Sequim also for a while yet. Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that. I have enough stuff to make a couple more pens and I was going to tonight but I'm just a bit tuckered out. Have a great evening.. Fay

Fay, I'm in Parkwood across Hwy 101 from Sunny Farms.
Happy to help anyone just getting started, just give me a shout.

plano_harry

Nice pen Fay. Welcome to IAP. Be sure and read all the Beginner articles in the library. It will save you having to make the same mistakes we did.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Nice looking first pen, there maybe a flaw or two and that's ok for your first pan, you'll get better with each pen. Keep that one and look back on it in a few months.

Top Bottom