Can I post pictures of duck & goose calls?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Royce Meritt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royce Meritt

Would it be appropriate to post a couple of pictures of my duck and goose calls here? I know they aren't pens but they are turned on a mandrel just like a pen? Would there be a better place to "show them off"? Maybe the "off topic" forum? Thanks for your input!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dougle40

Royce,
You could start up your own "album" and post them there , then start a thread by telling us that you posted the duck calls there and we could all go have a look .

tipusnr

This was discussed once, quite thoroughly, but I don't remember the outcome. I personally have no objection to posting other things occasionally in the Casual Conversation area. I would like to keep the Penturning and Show Off Your Pens areas dedicated to pens as that's what I come to see.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ditto, Tip. Casual conversations is a great place for the discussions and one's personal gallery is a great place to display items other than pens.

Royce Meritt

Thanks for the input everyone! I thought perhaps this was not the best place to post pictures of other stuff. Being a DOPE I never thought of starting up an "album" and showing my calls there. Sometimes my brain just freezes up! I have started an album and have posted a couple of pictures there. Thanks again.

KKingery

Ditto the above - I also made an album for Duck calls, and one for "other turnings" in my main album. Most folks don't object to seeing items other than pens, - just not normally in the "show off your pens" forum. Lou is right about the lengthy discussion awhile back. I think most folks agreed it was ok, since calls, etc... are turned on a mandrel. There's really no "law" prohibiting it.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Royce Meritt
<br />Thanks for the input everyone! I thought perhaps this was not the best place to post pictures of other stuff. Being a DOPE I never thought of starting up an "album" and showing my calls there. Sometimes my brain just freezes up! I have started an album and have posted a couple of pictures there. Thanks again.

I'll look at your album of duck calls is you promise to look at mine after I post a few. [:)]

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I'll look at both of your albums after I get home and can enjoy it with a cup of coffee and some quackers..[:D]

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />
Originally posted by Royce Meritt
<br />Thanks for the input everyone! I thought perhaps this was not the best place to post pictures of other stuff. Being a DOPE I never thought of starting up an "album" and showing my calls there. Sometimes my brain just freezes up! I have started an album and have posted a couple of pictures there. Thanks again.

I'll look at your album of duck calls is you promise to look at mine after I post a few. [:)]

Royce Meritt

Originally posted by Darley
<br />Well I not goin to quacker at you all but how you doing those Duck call? do you have to buy a kit? any help.

Serge

The process of turning a call is VERY similar to turning a pen. I got started with a starter kit from "Hut Products". The starter kit includes a 7mm mandrel, rubber expansion bushings, spacers, etc. and a call blank of your choice. If you already have a 7mm mandrel you can buy all the other parts separatly. Give them a call. They are very helpful. Their kits also include very helpful instructions. There are other places to buy different types of mandrels or you can make your own (either wood or metal).

The reeds that one gets from Hut are OK but there are better options in my opinion. Some people turn the barrel and stopper of the call and insert a molded set of "guts". Some feel that a "true" custom made call would include a tone board, reed, etc. that the maker makes him or herself. I do some of each.

Another web site to check out is www.customcalls.com. Lots of information and a very helpful forum. Once you get started it is easy to expand and change the way you do things. The Hut kit is a good way to start, in my opinion.

If you need more help, just ask. I am, by no means, an "expert". I've just made enough mistakes to have an opinion or two.

dougle40

Royce,
That's interesting . I've toyed with the idea of making some calls just to see what the market would be in this area as I live right on a migration route . How much does a custom call sell for (average)?

Royce Meritt

Originally posted by dougle40
<br />Royce,
That's interesting . I've toyed with the idea of making some calls just to see what the market would be in this area as I live right on a migration route . How much does a custom call sell for (average)?

I don't sell a lot of calls. Mostly give away, use myself, add to my collection, donate to Ducks Unlimited, etc.

Pricing of calls, like anything, is tricky business. True "custom" calls, made by a fairly well known call maker and custom made and tuned for a particular buyer can start at $100 or higher and go up from there. The more well known the maker the higher the price. I am an avid duck hunter and have 1 call that I paid over $100 for. It is a great call and was well worth the money. I bought it from Wade Carpenter at www.webfootcustomcalls.com . He also supplies me with my molded call guts, reeds, etc.

Another type of call on the market is a "semi-custom" call. Made by a good call maker but more of a "stock" item where the buyer might pick the material but it is tuned, etc. to more of a "standard sound. Not really custom made but very nice calls. These can sell in the $70-$100 range.

Most of the calls I've sold on the "open market" I've sold for $30-$45 depending on the material, etc. I've also sold a lot on eBay just to get them out the door so to speak. These bring around $20-$25. Mostly I sell them on eBay if it is a "prototype" or just been around a while and I want to get my money back out of them.

The problem I've encountered with selling calls is that for the "average" duck hunter who wants a call to use, they are perfectly happy with the $20 calls available off the shelf at any store. There are some nice molded poly calls out there in the stores and I have several myself. A lot of people don't want to spend the extra money for a "custom" call that they are going to the duck slough and abuse so marketing is tough.

Sorry to ramble but I've not been real successful selling calls. I don't mind too much because they are fun to make and I use a lot of duck calls. As long as I can sell a couple a year to get my money back it's worth it to me. Hope this helps.

ilikewood

I'm with Royce on this one. I have made and sold quite a few game calls using the HUT system (I have a few posted in my album). Unless you a "well known", most of your calls will be in the price of good pens ($35-$65). If you use expensive woods or some fancier options, the price can go up.

These make a great addition to your pen display at shows.

Darley

Royce thaks for the info sound very interesting to turn one bare in mind that we don't do duck shooting here if you do you got the greenies on your back[:D] will try to contact Hut Product for a kit an try my hands on sure will contact you if need more info

Thanks again

Serge

AnotherRed

I too think it would be neat to make my own duck calls. I can't believe what some of the "over the counter" ones go for. My $20 ones seem to attract the ducks. One day at the local store they had some for $130, the lady there got a kick when I asked if they came with the ducks. Its neat to see all the pens here, but it would also be cool to see the call every one makes.

jdavis

Tip is right about where to place other pictures. Good job. I have a fwe students that are interested in turning calls. We have not ventered there just yet. Probably will before too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom