Can anyone name this wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

Status
Not open for further replies.

splinter99

Last yeat I bought a few burls from a guy (out of the back of a truck)..He didnt know what this was but thought it was amboyna(it wasn't)..It was covered with wax..I have used over half of it and much of it was unexciting..but as I got down further..the whole center was curly..

It has a very unique smell as you turn it..kind of like vicks rub

I sure would like to know what it is

200743165812_mys.jpg

200743165948_mys2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctwxlvr

taking a guess:
CAMPHOR

Cinnamomum spp.

Cinnamomum spp. of the family Lauraceae, definitely including C. camphora, and C. iners, this common name may possibly also include C. laubatii, C. oliveri, C. parthenoxylon, and C. virens

splinter99

I was given a blank of eucalyptus and they didnt look similar.(but who knows).I have been telling people it is camphor burl but it didnt look like other pics of camphor I have seen here.

Dario

Originally posted by splinter99
<br />Dario..does myrtlewood have that smell? I havne turned any..

Yes it does have a distinct aroma..and the looks matches it perfectly. It is actually called pepper wood by some.

chigdon

I am not sure why some people are saying that Camphor does not smell like Vicks when Vicks is made from Camphor.

I have never seen Camphor that looked like the top pic (unfortunately -- that is very nice) but the bottom looks right. The other options mentioned could be right also but Camphor and Vicks smells alike.

Dario

Just to clarify...I ruled out camphor due to the looks and color. I know very well that the smell would be the best match though.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
With that grain and smelling like Vicks it is almost a certainty to be camphor laurel. Look here http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/camphor.htm about 1/3 of the way down at "planks". The center plank is almost a dead ringer. Of course, look at all of the others and you'll see why many folks don't think it's camphor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom