Camelthorn, padauk, and brass

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Krash

Krash

I posted this over in the Segmenting also.

I saw this camelthorn blank at my local wood shop covered in wax but I could just make out some interesting grain. I was taken back when I turned it down. What a beautiful wood!
This was also by first attempt at brass. Boy is it harder than aluminum!

C & C welcome. No, really.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 358
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Thanks guys. This was the second pen with that segmenting approach. The first was my PITH pen sent to Don.

It is definitely a challenging segmenting project that I hope to improve on in some way. If any of you have any ideas on what to add or subtract, or what to pair it with, I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Coming up with and creating something unique and eye-catching is a challenge given all the well established master pen makers on this forum. I am still in the experimenting stage of my pen making since I've just been doing it since February. There are a few techniques that I like and will probably make them a staple of my designs, but I love trying to come up with original ideas in segmenting.

I have been thinking a lot lately about different pen kits and which ones I like. I want kits whose quality will enhance my work, not degrade it. If any of you have suggestions on your favorite quality kit, I would love to hear it. I don't really care too much about the cost since I will just transfer it to the customer, who, if they are looking at a high quality writing instrument, will recognise the quality-cost relationship. I want to be proud of ever aspect of my final product.

Thanks again for any discussion on this pen, segmenting approach, and quality pen kits.

Chrisjan

Ahh Camelthorn... Now there's an interesting wood! I have made several pens out of it and tried to use CA as a finish - but to no avail! Its too oily and the CA starts breaking up from the inside after some time.

What did you use for the finish?

I just got some Woodturners Finish which I want to try on it this evening. Will post some pics once its done

BSea

As far as pen kits go, I'm not into the "Bling" factor. My favorite medium kit ($20 range) is the Jr Retro. It's fairly easy to modify by punching out the cap finial & replacing with something custom. You can also do a custom centerband, but that's a little more work.

For a high end kit, I like the Eagle from Lazerlines. And it's on sale now, so it isn't much more than the retro. It's solid stainless steel, and american made. It also has the option for a custom finial. In fact the decorative finial provided doesn't even come attached, so no need to get your punches out.

I love your segmenting. That is a beautiful pen. I'd never have considered those two wood together, but they work very nicely.

Last edited:

Krash

Ahh Camelthorn... Now there's an interesting wood! I have made several pens out of it and tried to use CA as a finish - but to no avail! Its too oily and the CA starts breaking up from the inside after some time.

What did you use for the finish?

I just got some Woodturners Finish which I want to try on it this evening. Will post some pics once its done

I used CA and BLO. But, the first couple coats did go on pretty weird. The surface was rough, almost bubbly which may have been a reaction to the wood oils. I sanded it back down to smooth starting with 400. Then the CA and BLO went on normally. I guess it filled and stabilized the wood. Hopefully, the reaction is complete and won't surface again.

How long later did it start breaking up?

Top Bottom