A Cambridge Rollerball in 2 views

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mack C.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

2 views of the same Cambridge Ster. S/Ti. Gold RB. That's Ed4copies Alternate Ivory covering it.

I found the Ivory somewhat difficult to turn. It had a nasty habit of chipping away if I took too deep a cut. I ruined 1 blank before catching on to what I was doing. It will be a little while before I attempt turning the Ivory again, it's too hard on my nerves.

Now my reason for posting 2 pics with 2 different backgrounds and poses -- would you mind taking a minute and give me your honest opinion of which is the better photo, or which one you like the best.

Honest opinions only! I won't take them as personal attacks.

Attachments

• 197 002 (Medium).jpg
    197 002 (Medium).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 197 Cambridge RB Pen, Sterling & Bk. Ti., Alternate Ivory (Medium).jpg
    197 Cambridge RB Pen, Sterling & Bk. Ti., Alternate Ivory (Medium).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 300
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Personally, I like the top pose.... But either is ok. However, ONE of these pictures is better than the other, but I can't tell which. The white balance if off on one of them (my guess is the top one is the more correct). With a pen like this, accurate color is CRITICAL and thus one of these needs color correction.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Personally, I like the top pose.... But either is ok. However, ONE of these pictures is better than the other, but I can't tell which. The white balance if off on one of them (my guess is the top one is the more correct). With a pen like this, accurate color is CRITICAL and thus one of these needs color correction.
Hi Dean; The top one is closer to the correct colour, but still showing overly yellowish.

My WB was set against a grey card, and I'm using 3 5000K lights. I can't recall if I was taking pics in WB or Daylight mode. I do know it's taking me longer to get a good photo of a pen than it is to make one, but as long as it's fun that's what counts.
I appreciate your straight forward comments.

pipecrafter

Sometimes getting a good color balance is the most frustrating part of taking any photo - well, aside from dealing with highlights washing out detail on shiny things. My camera (a Canon 300D) actually requires a plain white background as the white balance sample image in order to bring out the best colors.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Sometimes getting a good color balance is the most frustrating part of taking any photo - well, aside from dealing with highlights washing out detail on shiny things. My camera (a Canon 300D) actually requires a plain white background as the white balance sample image in order to bring out the best colors.
Hi Kurt; I'm using a Canon S5 IS.

bitshird

Top picture, looks just a bit blue, I love Ed's Alt Ivory. but I turn it on a metal lathe, (cheat) I blew a piece up I was going to use for a JR Emperor, trying it on my wood lathe.
Your Cambridge is beautiful, I love the larger pens done in Alt Ivory.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Maybe this will help for comparison.
I like the top pose, myself.

Attachments

• 197 002 (Medium).jpg
    197 002 (Medium).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 197 Cambridge RB Pen, Sterling & Bk. Ti., Alternate Ivory (Medium).jpg
    197 Cambridge RB Pen, Sterling & Bk. Ti., Alternate Ivory (Medium).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 94

GouletPens

If you have a hard time with color balance, there are plenty of basic photo editing programs out there that will save you a lot of time and aggravation. It looks like you're hovering over the pen with your camera and take a picture from directly above. I've never been a fan of this strategy b/c it always casts wierd shadows. Try doing different light and camera setups.

Jim Smith

First off, beautiful pen! I love the classy look of the alternate Ivory with that kit. As far as the photos, I also think the first photo is cleaner and shows off the pen better.

Super nice work!!!

Jim Smith

Top Bottom