Cambridge Hybrid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

Here is one of the Cambridge Hybrid kits I purchased from Woodcraft (woodcraft gold and sterling silver). It is dressed in a lovely Banded Malchite truestone which I purchased from Richard ( www.randbcrafts.com ) This stuff is such a pleasure to work. Of course it takes cool tools and slow drilling and sharp tools. But polishes to a nice deep shine. Will be using this material again for sure. Thanks for looking and any comments or questions always welcomed.

I also included a photo with it in a pen box from Timberbits. These boxes are a classy touch.

GreenCambridge1piece.jpg

B--GreenCambridge2pieces.jpg

GreenCambridgeinbox.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Absolutely stunning. Just wish it didn't have the black ring on it.

I thought the same thing and probably on a few of the next ones I will try to modify this. I still have a few that I will place with some Casein. I made these to kit form so I could have them done for the shows I am doing. After the shows I will have more time to play around with some mods. Actually the black ring on this blank is not too bad.

Thanks for all the kind words. I have a couple more to post when I get around to it. Some are with Ed's acrylics that to me are pretty spectacular.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
John,
I believe the black band doesn't look TOO bad with dark color blanks. Be careful, if you make a casein, I would suggest a different kit.

Just a FWIW, recognizing that this is solely an OPINION.

jttheclockman

John,
I believe the black band doesn't look TOO bad with dark color blanks. Be careful, if you make a casein, I would suggest a different kit.

Just a FWIW, recognizing that this is solely an OPINION.

Why is that??? I have not cut the casein yet. Would the alternate be a better choice?? I was looking to two tone it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hope this will help.

My photography is no where near as good as yours, but here's how mine "turned out":

I think the black band "screams". I did a Triton, like it much better.

Attachments

• CASEIN CAMBRIDGE.jpg
    CASEIN CAMBRIDGE.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 178
  • CASEIN CAMBGIDGE VERT.jpg
    CASEIN CAMBGIDGE VERT.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 171

latelearner

I think that pen is among the top 5 best looking pens I have seen. Excellent job. I have never worked with the trustone and was wandering what you meant by using "cool tools".

ctubbs

Beautiful pen in totallity, the fit and finish is outstanding. On this great green blank, the black ring is not objectionable. the photos show great depth of field and excellent lighting. The background stands the pen out without distracting form it. The pen props seperate the pen from the background eliminating the dark under shadow. All in all, an excellent job. Outstanding.
Charles

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think you need to work on your fit and finish for a while, and when you eventually get that right, learn to take some decent pics!!!!:mad:

:wink: Ignore my BS :wink:

But if I had my way, then that second pic would certainly be on the home page. :biggrin:

jttheclockman

I think that pen is among the top 5 best looking pens I have seen. Excellent job. I have never worked with the trustone and was wandering what you meant by using "cool tools".

Yes I guess I messed that abit. By cool tools I meant you need to not get your tools hot. For instance when I drill a blank like this that I know has a low melting point or shatter point I use a slow speed and cool the bit with denatured alcohol. I do not let the skew get too hot either when I am turning. Same thing goes for MM, always use water to keep cool. I like this color green alot. Going to have to use it on other kits as well.

alphageek

Former Moderator
If you turn in your garage, in Wisconsin this time of year you will clearly learn the meaning of COOL tools!!

Amen to that!! My summer shop is in the garage. I have my last show in 8 days and hope to get a few more things done in the shop before that, but then the lathe is moving to its winter home in the basement.

alphageek

Former Moderator
But if I had my way, then that second pic would certainly be on the home page. :biggrin:
DITTO!

Same here... Beautiful pen and beautiful picture!

The interesting thing is until it was pointed out, I didn't really notice the black ring as all that out of place here. Definately agree with Ed that it looks funny with Casein...

I agree the kit could do without, but I'll bet there is alot of blanks that it will look good with. I've never done this kit - is there "function" to the black ring?

ctubbs

If you turn in your garage, in Wisconsin this time of year you will clearly learn the meaning of COOL tools!!

Amen to that!! My summer shop is in the garage. I have my last show in 8 days and hope to get a few more things done in the shop before that, but then the lathe is moving to its winter home in the basement.

WOW! It must be nice to be so rich that your lathe has a Summer home and a Winter home as well. Ooooo!:rolleyes::):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Charles

alphageek

Former Moderator
WOW! It must be nice to be so rich that your lathe has a Summer home and a Winter home as well. Ooooo!:rolleyes::):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Charles

ROFL... No, If I were rich i would have more lathes... Plus wouldn't need 2 homes for it.

I could leave the lathe downstairs year round, but I really prefer turning up where I can have light/fresh air.

Or I could heat the garage and make it more comfortable for tools, but the only way that works is my car gets bumped out of the garage for the summer... And anyone knows that in WI, if you can keep your car in a garage during the winter, you do so.

The next house (someday!!) will either have a 3rd stall that will be heated OR room for a real shop!

jttheclockman

THANKS

Just wanted to take a minute to say thanks to everyone who commented on this pen and the others that I had shown this past few days. I do not usually get such a positive outpouring but it does make one feel good. I will probably not have many more for awhile. I want to give the clock pen a try and some other experiments. But I did want to say thanks to those who commented on my pens. It is appreciated.

omb76

Great looking pen! I haven't used the Cambridge kit yet, but the more I see it, the more I like it. I have to say that when I saw the pic of the pen in the pen box, the first thought that came to mind was that it was in a little coffin :) No offense, just a funny thought!

jttheclockman

Great looking pen! I haven't used the Cambridge kit yet, but the more I see it, the more I like it. I have to say that when I saw the pic of the pen in the pen box, the first thought that came to mind was that it was in a little coffin :) No offense, just a funny thought!

Hey you never know, this maybe where it comes to die if it does not get sold.:biggrin:

Top Bottom