Camauflage prototype

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Working on an order for a camauflage pen for a retired military officer. Have tried a few ideas and this one seems to be in the best direction IMO. Would love some comments and/or suggestions before making the final version where I will cast clear resin around the pattern.

Thanks to Bonefish for the casings.

200610110215_Camaupenproto.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Nice, but I think a B2B with a printed patern looks like a plain ol plastic screenprinted pen you could buy anywhere. Maybe putting the patented 'billy bulge' or some beads would help.

cozee

Good looking pen but perhaps a camo pattern that is a bit more military. Here are a couple options:

Woodland camo

2006101132122_CAMMO.jpg

Chocolate chip desert camo

2006101133047_CAMMODES.jpg

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks to all for the comments. Greg - I think you're right about the pattern, thanks. Looks like this is going to be a series. Original pattern is more for hunters.

Bruce

Skye

If you're going after hunters, something like RealTree is the only way to go. I dont think "hunter" when I see that camo pattern you used.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Try posting a picture on a neutral background.
IMNSHO the Sierra is a little fancy for a "cammo"/ military pen .
The mismatched fittings on the kit don't "go" with the brass finial.
Essentially what you did to change the appearance of the finished pen was to use a casing for a finial.
This was my first attempt at using casings in my pens.
A modified Polaris.
The concept is kit design is similar to the Sierra in that they both use one tube.
20051232533_Polaris%20casing%20antler%20004.jpg

On this pen I used antler but that is immaterial.
The point I am trying to make is there are no extranious fittings that make it look like a "hode podge" of design elements.
If you and your customer are happy with the end results that is all that matters but to me there seems to be a conflict in the final appearance of the pen.
If the brass finial were gold plated and you could get the other 2 fittings to "match" or omit them altogether I think you would be better off.

Another direction you might consider taking is to adapt your "cammo" balnk to a "longwood" style pen.
This one is based on a slimline but can be done also with a PArker style kit
20051231366_antler%20longwood%20slimline%20003.jpg

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Skye
<br />If you're going after hunters, something like RealTree is the only way to go. I dont think "hunter" when I see that camo pattern you used.

Some of the popular patterns are protected patterns, as in patened or copywright. The older, military styles would be in public domain by now.

rpasto92

Originally posted by Skye
<br />If you're going after hunters, something like RealTree is the only way to go. I dont think "hunter" when I see that camo pattern you used.

When I think of hunters I think of bright orange camo.

emackrell

Maybe use a piece of actual cloth to wrap around the tube? One set of old BDUs or DCUs would make about a million pens I would imagine.

BTW, depending on how long your customer has been retired, he/she may have worn the updated versions of both woodland and desert cammies (digital, pixillated pattern -- looks odd up close, looks invisible in the field).

Cheers Eileen [8D]

edited to include photo:

2006101219457_uniform_acu_2004_375.jpg
<br />

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Many thanks to all for your suggestions. I will definitly include many of them in the final design. Watch out for the new post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom