Calligraphy Straight Dip Pen Holder, with video!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

Attachments

• 20170607_182442_1496864441516_resized.jpg
    20170607_182442_1496864441516_resized.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 20170607_182536_1496864445138_resized.jpg
    20170607_182536_1496864445138_resized.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 20170607_123114_resized.jpg
    20170607_123114_resized.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 243
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Awesome. Not sure I want to ask how much you sell them for. Are you making the nib or did you have them custom made?

magpens

The video is very professional ..... not to even mention the pen !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some guys are just born with ALL the talent !!!!

BradG

Mal the concept of taking 2 hours of video and cutting it down to 3 minutes is a skill I still feel very amateur at :biggrin: it's fun to do though

OZturner

Brad, I got Side Tracked with you link to YouTube, and spent all my available time watching your Terrific Explanation and Demonstration on Anodizing.
Thank you, that was Time well Spent, Plus it gave me a Chance of Drooling Over your Shop Set Up, and some of your Equipment in Particular Your Lathe and Press to mention just a couple.
Now to your Calligraphy Dip Pens, They are Spectacular, love the Photograph, with the Cabinet Mirror Reflecting the Pens.
These are made to your Usual Fantastic Standard.
Just as a matter of Interest, what Ink do you use for these Pens?
Obviously, there are many colours of Ink, but is there a Particular, or Preferred Manufacturer, or Ink Type?
Congratulations,
Brian.

BradG

Brad, I got Side Tracked with you link to YouTube, and spent all my available time watching your Terrific Explanation and Demonstration on Anodizing.
Thank you, that was Time well Spent, Plus it gave me a Chance of Drooling Over your Shop Set Up, and some of your Equipment in Particular Your Lathe and Press to mention just a couple.
Now to your Calligraphy Dip Pens, They are Spectacular, love the Photograph, with the Cabinet Mirror Reflecting the Pens.
These are made to your Usual Fantastic Standard.
Just as a matter of Interest, what Ink do you use for these Pens?
Obviously, there are many colours of Ink, but is there a Particular, or Preferred Manufacturer, or Ink Type?
Congratulations,
Brian.

Hi Brian
My workshop has since moved to the garage to accomodate the larger machines nowadays, but still a fun space all the same!

As for the inks, no doubt as you know fountain pen inks are usually dye based so not to block up the feed & nib, and some are pigment based.

Here's a snippet I have copied and pasted from a website with regards to dip pen inks

Dip Pens
Dip pens is perhaps a misleading description as it is usually recommended that pens are not dipped but rather loaded with a brush or dropper. This gives greater control of the amount of ink on the pen. Dip pens allow the use of carbon based, acrylic inks and gouache. Carbon based and pigmented inks are generally permanent and resistant to fading. Gold and Silver inks based on bronze powders can be used.

Waterproof or perhaps more accurately, water-resistant inks are often, unecessarily, avoided as ink can build up on the nib. This risk can be reduced by frequent rinsing and wiping of the nib. Water resistant ink can be ideal for addressing envelopes, the addition of a illustrations and for the general protection of work which may be otherwise unprotected.

Iron Gall Ink
Iron Gall Ink is not dye based, carbon or pigment. The ink gains its distinctive dark blue black colour from the chemical interaction of wood tannins with sulphate of iron. It darkens on reaction with air and its acidic nature eats into the paper. It is highly valued by Copperplate calligraphers for the fine detail the ink produces. It will eventually turn brown but you will need to wait probably a century for this to happen.

Quink ink seems to be a popular choice too though from Parker :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I really like the profile of these, very attractive.

The video was great in my opinion. It's is nice to see the process - Thank you.

Just an opinion: I wish you could figure out a better option for the stock nib insert. The high quality of the pen seems to me to deserve a more complimentary insert. Food for thought.

Very nice!

BradG

Just an opinion: I wish you could figure out a better option for the stock nib insert. The high quality of the pen seems to me to deserve a more complimentary insert. Food for thought.

Very nice!

I agree there Mark, but I'm a little limited as to what I can do due to the sprung pieces to the insert. I did think of recessing the pen so that ugly lip could also be tucked inside, but didn't want to make it too difficult for the owner to change when needed as they do wear out... perhaps im overthinking it and they wouldn't mind fishing it out. guess it wouldn't be too difficult :) I'l recess the next ones

Edit: or did you mean the nib itself?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

Very nice!

I agree there Mark, but I'm a little limited as to what I can do due to the sprung pieces to the insert. I did think of recessing the pen so that ugly lip could also be tucked inside, but didn't want to make it too difficult for the owner to change when needed as they do wear out... perhaps im overthinking it and they wouldn't mind fishing it out. guess it wouldn't be too difficult :) I'l recess the next ones

Edit: or did you mean the nib itself?

No, not the nib, that will be "user preference." You got my intent correctly; the pen is brilliant, it deserves an equally complimentary holder. Something to ponder in all your free time :wink:.

OZturner

Hi Brian
My workshop has since moved to the garage to accomodate the larger machines nowadays, but still a fun space all the same!

As for the inks, no doubt as you know fountain pen inks are usually dye based so not to block up the feed & nib, and some are pigment based.

Here's a snippet I have copied and pasted from a website with regards to dip pen inks

Dip Pens
Dip pens is perhaps a misleading description as it is usually recommended that pens are not dipped but rather loaded with a brush or dropper. This gives greater control of the amount of ink on the pen. Dip pens allow the use of carbon based, acrylic inks and gouache. Carbon based and pigmented inks are generally permanent and resistant to fading. Gold and Silver inks based on bronze powders can be used.

Waterproof or perhaps more accurately, water-resistant inks are often, unecessarily, avoided as ink can build up on the nib. This risk can be reduced by frequent rinsing and wiping of the nib. Water resistant ink can be ideal for addressing envelopes, the addition of a illustrations and for the general protection of work which may be otherwise unprotected.

Iron Gall Ink
Iron Gall Ink is not dye based, carbon or pigment. The ink gains its distinctive dark blue black colour from the chemical interaction of wood tannins with sulphate of iron. It darkens on reaction with air and its acidic nature eats into the paper. It is highly valued by Copperplate calligraphers for the fine detail the ink produces. It will eventually turn brown but you will need to wait probably a century for this to happen.

Quink ink seems to be a popular choice too though from Parker :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Brad, for taking the time and effort in providing the information, on Inks, Very Informative and Greatly Appreciated.
Many Thanks,
Brian.

darrin1200

Those look fabulous Brad. I never thought of doing one in all metal. What is the weight on these? Most of the calligraphers I have heard from, like them light for extended work sessions. Perhaps hollowing the center could drop the weight.

The two inks I use are Sumi Moon Palace black, and Walnut ink that I mixed from flakes.
Most fountain pen inks don't stick very well to the calligraphy nib, you can only write a couole of letters. Most Calligraphy inks are bad for fountain pens as they will clog it up or in the case of iron gall, possibly damage it.

Top Bottom