A Calligraphy Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Whaler

Whaler

A friend asked if I could make a Calligraphy pen for his wife's Christmas present. I have never done one before but decided to give it a go.
Pen parts from Anthony at The Golden Nib wrapped in local Pacific Yew.

Attachments

• Calligraphy.jpg
    Calligraphy.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 301
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I find this type of writting to be most delightful to look at, but never had the patience to learn how to do it....but with an instrument like that, think I'd take the time to try.

Nicely shaped, and I bet it rides in the hand very comfortably.

Scott (nice timber too) B

rsulli16

hmmmmmmmmm

i just had two requests for caligraphy pens
did you just get the set i see listed on goldennib.com for about $9.95 and turn your own handle? or did you buy the tips separately, at apprx $2 a piece. i see if you buy the tips, you need an insert for a 7mm tube, (thats handy), or,,, if you got the set, does the tips in the set go into the insert and the 7mm tubes too? thats not clear on the site, are they the same tips?
i was wondering what a "basic" caligraphy set would consist of.
thanks
sulli

its_virgil

Readiing this may help: http://redriverpens.com/articles and scroll down to the calligraphy pen article. The other two closed end pen articles will also be helpful. The pen itself can be turned on a standard mandrel. The other articles will explain how. When i wrote the article the nib holder was only available from Stiles and Bates but now several members here sell them.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

did you just get the set i see listed on goldennib.com for about $9.95 and turn your own handle? or did you buy the tips separately, at apprx $2 a piece. i see if you buy the tips, you need an insert for a 7mm tube, (thats handy), or,,, if you got the set, does the tips in the set go into the insert and the 7mm tubes too? thats not clear on the site, are they the same tips?
thanks
sulli

its_virgil

Dick,
These pens are fun to make. You did a great job with this one. Pacific Yew is a nice wood to use. I'm sure it will be a well received gift.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

A friend asked if I could make a Calligraphy pen for his wife's Christmas present. I have never done one before but decided to give it a go.
Pen parts from Anthony at The Golden Nib wrapped in local Pacific Yew.

Whaler

hmmmmmmmmm

thanks
sulli

I went with the inserts and separate nibs, I also bought one of the sets to use as a rough pattern. I used a 7mm tube and the insert pushes in nicely. I'm going to fire up the shop stove this afternoon and try one without using a tube, if it works I'll post the results.

Top Bottom