California Buckeye Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MJ Jack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveAxelrod

Great looking pen! I struggled with finishing a similar hybrid over the last 2 days. For some reason the CA on the burl wouldn't hold a glossy finish even after multiple coats. I finally buffed the heck out of it using Plastx at 2500 RPM. That pretty much did the trick.

I'd be interested to know the nuts and bolts of the Barry Gross finishing technique if you're inclined to share!

OZturner

Excellent Pen MJ.
Beautiful Blank from Barry Gross,
The Close up Feature on your Post, shows up some slight Circumferential Marks on the Resin, in particular visible on the last Photo, near the Nib end.
It is always difficult when sanding, Materials of differing Hardness, such as the Burl and Epoxy.
These can be eliminated or reduced, when sanding or buffing, to finish with the abrasive lengthwise on the Blank, so as to reduce those Circumferential marks.
I don't know how noticeable they are without Magnification.
Well done,
Brian.

MJ Jack

On Barry's website (Arizona Silouette) he has a CA Glue Finish Sample Starter Kit. I believe it is $45. It has everything you need with instructions.

New Wave Sanding Paper 150, 180, 220, 320, 400, 600 and 800

Abralon pads 500, 1000, 2000, 4000 (grits are actually 3x what's on the back of the pads)

6 coats of medium CA

Acrylic finishing pads

Drop of acrylic scratch remover

Acrylic buffing system

The kit is definitely worth the money if you wanted to try it out. I really like the brand of CA.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

MJ Jack

Excellent Pen MJ.
Beautiful Blank from Barry Gross,
The Close up Feature on your Post, shows up some slight Circumferential Marks on the Resin, in particular visible on the last Photo, near the Nib end.
It is always difficult when sanding, Materials of differing Hardness, such as the Burl and Epoxy.
These can be eliminated or reduced, when sanding or buffing, to finish with the abrasive lengthwise on the Blank, so as to reduce those Circumferential marks.
I don't know how noticeable they are without Magnification.
Well done,
Brian.

Thank you. I'm still new to turning pens and this was my second time turning this type of blank. Definitely need more practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom