Cadmium Yellow Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaspar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Looks good, Eric. You always make bold, interesting pens.:)

I've been afraid to make a rollerball nib in acrylic - worried about it being strong enough over time. Tried making a space for a metal collar inside the nib, but not gone beyond the thinking stage.

Kaspar

I've been afraid to make a rollerball nib in acrylic - worried about it being strong enough over time.

Really? I would imagine Lucite is certainly strong enough. The Cad Yellow is AA (Acrylic Acetate) but it was strong enough, at diameter, to take tramming in a four indy jaw chuck, and after I drilled out the inside for the cartridge.

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
I don't know if it's because my favorite color is yellow or if it's just really cool looking...I'd buy that!! Cool job Eric!!

edstreet

Hmmm nice pen there.

Yellow is not hard to photograph, just put it on a black background :) Since you have several zone 1-4's in that blank you want something non-black but dark like a dark blue, red or something like that.

Last question is why are you limiting yourself by labeling this 'kitless'?

edstreet

Sorry about all of this but the whole thing like saying 'component-less' 'kitless' and others seems to me to be in gross error. We don't call 'training wheel-less bicycles' or 'drivers-ed teacher-less drivers'.

it also seems to me that there are distinct groups and while we may be coming from one group to another group, i.e. using kits to not using kits, that it may be 'ok' to use phrases like this but the truth is there is a whole realm out there that has nothing to do with kits or the like and many highly advanced setup's, methods and the like that is so far beyond the kit arena that it's not funny. In this regard using 'component-less' 'kitless' and the like seems highly discouraging and limits the creator to approach things with a kit building mentality which in turns highly limits your ability.

Guess what I am trying to say is your skills transcends kits and it seems to be very disrespectful and degrading to your skills to drag them down to the kit building group.

Kaspar

Thanks, everybody.

... Guess what I am trying to say is your skills transcends kits and it seems to be very disrespectful and degrading to your skills to drag them down to the kit building group.

Didn't realize so much philosophizing had gone on about it, but yes. I hardly do kits anymore, though a few things I still want to do will involve them. I am especially fond of the Emperor Jr. And the Statesman Jr, of course. At this point in my penmaking abilities, I should just say, "Here's another great pen! (and yes, it so happens I made nearly everything in it.)" :biggrin:

alphageek

Former Moderator
Beautiful stunning pen... But I don't think you are doing yourself any harm saying kit less to the IAP crowd. Heck - I'd be willing to bet money that there is some people who only opened the post because of that. Kitless is just a term to distinguish it from other pens in SOYP!

Keep it up - I'm normally not a fan of yellow, but like this one!!

BSea

That's a great kitless/custom pen. Or any other word you want to use. I really like the colors together. And while yellow isn't my favorite either, I'd carry that without hesitation.

jyreene

Regardless of what one person says it's a great looking pen. I've seen a few arguments on here about kitless as pertains to what to call them. You didn't use a kit so I think kitless works. However what's more important is, do you think it describes it correctly? If so then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. You have skill. I am learning from two I consider masters how to do these but they are more fountain pens and I like Rollerballs. That said I now will try making my own nose cone out of the material next time! Thanks for the idea. Shamelessly stealing it for the nose cone.

08K.80

That is very pretty!
I have considered using the blanks I have for the nib piece, but too wondered if it would hold up to using the pen daily. It seems it would crack after a lot of use.

Kaspar

Thanks again, everyone.

That is very pretty!
I have considered using the blanks I have for the nib piece, but too wondered if it would hold up to using the pen daily. It seems it would crack after a lot of use.

Hmm, now you all have me worried about it. :eek: :biggrin:

Thinking on it, I could leave it a bit thicker at the end and push the cartridge out a little further.

Top Bottom