Cactus Sierra Elegant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rchan63

Rchan63

Here is my first attemp at a cactus blank custome made by our own Ron(RAdams). It was a little challenging but well worth the effort. Comments are welcome.

Attachments

• DSCN2653.jpg
    DSCN2653.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 441
  • DSCN2654.jpg
    DSCN2654.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN2655.jpg
    DSCN2655.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 187
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimbob91577

Awesome...

Great job on the pen...

Its funny you should show this, I just finished up a elegant sierra cactus from
Ron as well...I painted mine Copper. I'll post pics in a day or two.

Rchan63

Thanks jimbob but I didn't paint the blank. I had him make me a red cactus blank. How was it for you when turning the blank?

jimbob91577

Well...

My nose is not a big fan of Silmar now...lets put it that way. The blank was good, there are about 3 bubbles still in the casting in areas right next to cactus, so they will mostly go unnoticed. There were a few bubbles that were exposed on the surface after turning which filled in fine with CA glue. I used a CA finish by the way, if that isn't obvious. All in all it turned and finished fine.

I like the way the cactus is laid into the casting though - all veins no flats. I still have another half to turn which will probably end up being a metallic blue.

I'm not sure what Ron's process is for casting these, if he is using a pressure pot or not - but they seem to be good little blanks. If I get some additional interest from customers, I'll surely purchase more.

RAdams

Banned
WOOHOO! That is a super sharp pen! I do indeed use a pressure pot. 50 pounds worth of pressure! I also preheat the resin to get it as thin as possible to fill the voids. I ALSO use a neck massager vibrotron 2000 to vibrate the molds while filling.

Unfortunately there is a slight tradeoff due to the technique i use. When doing the flat blanks, most people put the cactus in a pan type mold and pour a big hunk and cut it into blanks. With that technique, I think it is easier for the air to escape.

I make round blanks one at a time in individual molds. And with my technique, there is not as much opportunity for the bubbles to escape so they get stuck. They are a pain in the rump to finish, but the finished product is amazing.

All of this is also why i havent started an open ended ad for these blanks. It takes me a couple of days to make one batch which i sell for about $60. These blanks are a true labor of love. I make them because they are fun to make, and i sell them so i can make more.

Rchan63

Thanks for all the great comments.

Ron, the pen only looks as good as the person who casts them. Great job on the color. I doubt I can make an good looking pen with a bad casting.

David Keller

That looks great. I like the fact that it's all thin veining rather than having the areas of broad cactus.

RAdams

Banned
Dont blame it on me!!!:biggrin:

Really, the best pen blanks in the world are useless in the wrong hands, and even my holey blanks can be made to look amazing by someone with skill!

I will agree that they are tough to work with, but i will also agree that they are well worth the effort!

Top Bottom