Cactus pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lwalden

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwalden

Another one of Curtis' blanks- I love the way these look. Hope he continues to make these available......

2006101812953_1004972a.jpg

had some "ghosting" from the medium CA I used- anyone know a good source for black CA, or do I need to change to black epoxy? Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Lyle,

Great looking pen! Nice to see that you put the extra piece of skeleton I include to good use! Yes I am going to continue to produce these, at least for a while. I am finishing up the last few blanks from my first offering and then will post another round in the classifieds.

The ghosting is a problem for sure. I think what it may actually be is a void where the CA did not completely fill up the space between the tube and the blank. I have the same problem with epoxy, even black (though not as noticeable). The best solution that I have come up with is to paint the inside of the blank. that way any glue voids will be hidden. I use a plumber's acid brush to apply black tinted epoxy to the inside of the blank. I let it kick and then glue on the tubes. Seems to work quite well and you can easily tint the epoxy with Transtint dye available at Woodcraft. Hoep that helps some.

chigdon

I did the lazy version of Curtis' method and just spray painted the inside of the blank while painting the tubes and it worked great. Then I just used regular thick CA.

gerryr

Another cactus beauty. I love how these look. For painting the inside of the holes, I use Testor's enamel from the hobby store and the super cheap brushes you can get at WM, 30 for less than $2. They work great. I would use flat black because a hobby store owner told me he believes the flat paints have more a bit more pigment than the gloss, and you don't need gloss inside the blanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom