Cactus Jr. Retro New Pics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

I got a chance to turn a pen last week end, it's the first one in a while, the blank is one of Curtis's Cactus blanks, it's a clear one with the tubes glued in with Black Epoxy, it has one of Lou's Semi Flex nibs, but my Camera ran out of room so I only got the one shot, I love turning Curtis's blanks they behave so well, I sealed it up with 5 or 6 coats of thin CA and wet sanded quickly from 600 to 1000 and polished it with Novus from Mike and Linda.
Of course comments and critiques are welcome, after seeing the pics from last night I re shot the pen, the third photo should allow Seamus to appreciate the quick sanding job, if you use the right tool to turn with there isn't much sanding to do to achieve a decent finish.

Attachments

• Black-Cactus-Retro--1.jpg
    Black-Cactus-Retro--1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 269
  • Black-Cactus-Retro-2.jpg
    Black-Cactus-Retro-2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Black-Cactus-3.jpg
    Black-Cactus-3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Great look "LITTLE" pen. I thought those were pretty good size pens, or maybe it's the little picture that makes it look small. I think I really like. I know I like the cactus blanks, and I like that kit.

bitshird

Not sure why the image popped up so small, it should show at 750 pixels with a 100 pixels per inch, which would shopw as 7.5 inches, I shot it in RAW and changed it to JPEG I guess something in the compression . OH well. it's really a full size jr retro.

bitshird

Looks good, however, i wish we could see it up closer, so we could appreciate your quick sanding job! LOL
Seamus check the third picture, if you use the right tool to turn with, you don't need to spend hours sanding, particularly with only 5 or 6 coats of thin CA which is only there to seal the exposed Cactus skeleton, the Alumilite takes care of it's self!!

Looks pretty good. I didn't know they made the junior retro in key chain size. :)
The one in the old picture was made just to fit my tiny little brain

Doesn't really matter, still a beautiful pen.
Thanks Paul

Fortunately I'm not in the business of selling pictures, just Pens, wood turnings and tools.

Top Bottom