Cabal of Coventry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glen Schumann

Glen Schumann

I picked up a few of these Coventry kits from CSUSA when they closed them out and finally got around to making them into pens. Nothing special but I enjoyed doing this batch.

I've modified my finishing schedule for wood blanks by starting with BLO, letting it dry over night (after wiping off excess) and then doing my WTF finish (nine coats sanded between to 6,000).

The synthetics are sanded to 12,000 MM and then polished four times with One Step.

Thanks for looking. C&C Welcome.

Attachments

• IMGP5625 GlensWorkshop Etsy ballpoint pen chrome mahogany.jpg
    IMGP5625 GlensWorkshop Etsy ballpoint pen chrome mahogany.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 222
  • IMGP5620 GlensWorkshop Etsy ballpointpen chrome brown box elder burl.jpg
    IMGP5620 GlensWorkshop Etsy ballpointpen chrome brown box elder burl.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMGP5615 GlensWorkshop Etsy ballpoint pen chrome figured walnut.jpg
    IMGP5615 GlensWorkshop Etsy ballpoint pen chrome figured walnut.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMGP5610 GlensWorkshop ballpoint pen chrome Feather Mesh Acrylic.jpg
    IMGP5610 GlensWorkshop ballpoint pen chrome Feather Mesh Acrylic.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 134
  • IMGP5605 GlensWorkshop Etsy ballpoint pen chrome green purple yellow acrylic.jpg
    IMGP5605 GlensWorkshop Etsy ballpoint pen chrome green purple yellow acrylic.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMGP5600 GlensWorkshop Etsy Ballpoint pen chrome blanco nero tru stone.jpg
    IMGP5600 GlensWorkshop Etsy Ballpoint pen chrome blanco nero tru stone.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMGP5596 GlensWorkshop Etsy ballpoint pen chrome turquoise trustone.jpg
    IMGP5596 GlensWorkshop Etsy ballpoint pen chrome turquoise trustone.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMGP5568 GlensWorkshop Etsy Ballpoint pen chrome dark blue pearl acrylic.jpg
    IMGP5568 GlensWorkshop Etsy Ballpoint pen chrome dark blue pearl acrylic.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 119
  • IMGP5583 GlensWorkshop Etsy ballpoint pen chrome white flake pebble counter top material.jpg
    IMGP5583 GlensWorkshop Etsy ballpoint pen chrome white flake pebble counter top material.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMGP5578 GlensWorkshop Etsy coventry ballpoint pen chrom lavender pebble counter top material.jpg
    IMGP5578 GlensWorkshop Etsy coventry ballpoint pen chrom lavender pebble counter top material.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMGP5573 GlensWorkshop Etsy ballpoint pen chrome lavender pebble counter top material.jpg
    IMGP5573 GlensWorkshop Etsy ballpoint pen chrome lavender pebble counter top material.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 111
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Curious about the sanding between layers of the friction polish?

I'm guess you are not getting a lot of build up in the polish with all the sanding....

Scott (great bunch, you been busy) B

OZturner

Great group of pens, Glen.
Loved the Timber Blanks you used, spectacular.
Great Fit and Finish, interested in your BLO with drying over night. then the WTH 9 coats then snad to 6000.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Glen Schumann

Curious about the sanding between layers of the friction polish?

I'm guess you are not getting a lot of build up in the polish with all the sanding....

Scott (great bunch, you been busy) B

Wood Turners Finish (WTF) is not a friction polish. It is made from General Finishes and my understanding is it is based on a hardwood floor finish.

Glen Schumann

Thanks for the compliments.

I came up with my finishing schedule based on 1) a desire to finish off the lathe, 2) wanting a harder, more durable finish than friction polishes and 3) a gut level dislike for CA as a finish. Wood Turners Finish (WTF) is water based and I believe was developed by General Finishes from one of their hardwood floor finishes. It seems to suit my purposes well. It is clear and does not change the color of the wood in any way. I have heard from customers that it stands up well.

I just added BLO in an attempt to make the grain and figure of my woods standout more under the finish. It seems to help IF I allow the time for the BLO to dry thoroughly (overnight).

To date I am very satisfied with the overall results.

Top Bottom