CA over Barn Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Culprit

Culprit

This is my first CA finish (that I will admit to in public).

The wood is oak from my wife's family barn in East Tennessee. I'll have to ask my father in law over Christmas for more details, but the barn is approx 100-150 years old. That means this wood could have easily grown over 200 years ago. I will guess that it is red oak, but the color is more of a golden brown and the grain is different than any "new" red oak I have worked with before. It's beautiful wood.

Also in this pen is an unexpected benefit of Gorilla glue. The expanding nature of the glue pushed it out two worm holes in the wood when I glued the tube in. The color of the glue matched the color of this wood very well. I didn't plan it, but it worked out so that I didn't have to plug the holes from the outside and sand off the excess.

After Christmas when things slow down, I'll have to make myself a twin of this pen.

MimiChristmasPen2012small.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Would have never guessed that was RedOak.....hmm, guess I will have to file that into the knowledge center!

The length of these blanks is the winning side of this kit, let's you show off more wood!

Scott (nice finish too) B

stonepecker

Very nice......simple and beautiful at the same time. I really like the longer piece of wood as it shows so much.
What kind of kit did you use and where did you get it from?

Culprit

It looks similar to many of the 'red oak' pens I have made from tobacco sticks taken from East Tennessee.

That's interesting because this barn in East TN was used for grading and drying tobacco for most of it's life. My father in law only stopped raising tobacco a few years ago when his father died. The pen is a Christmas gift for his mother. There is a very good possibility that the wood in this pen was from one of the grading tables or some other portion of the barn that would have been soaked with tobacco juice at some point in it's life.

Top Bottom