Button Click Cigar pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

This is a Button click cigar pen . It is a one piece design using the same mechanism that I used for the Cap click cigar pen which I get from Richard Greenwald (see this post for more info http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59604 ) and one of my double cast striped blanks in Green-Gold/Black . I've been trying to build this one ever since I did the Cap Click cigar pen and I finally got a couple of hours last night to play around . I really like the design but I think it would have looked better with a Black finial ring and Button , what do you think? . Eventually those parts will be made of brass and gold plated .

As always , comments are welcome .

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgibb42

I like this version of the click cigar much better than the cap click. It has a nice, clean, uninterrupted shape and with the button on top, says "click pen". When I look at the other version, my first instinct is to twist it.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Butch,
I like the pen and what you did with the finial and click mechanism. Encasing the mechanism in the blank material is very cool!! I think it might look a tad better if just the finial ring was in black and leave the mechanism like you have it. Excellent job as always!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Too cool Butch!! :biggrin:
Did you cut thin little grooves in the blue blank and then cast the black in it? Beautiful spacing, however you did it!!!:wink:

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW thats more my style of pen making....if only I could be so talented........wowwwwwwww again!!!!!!!! Thats a smart looking pen for sure!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Wear??

This is a Button click cigar pen . It is a one piece design using the same mechanism that I used for the Cap click cigar pen which I get from Richard Greenwald (see this post for more info http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59604 ) and one of my double cast striped blanks in Green-Gold/Black . I've been trying to build this one ever since I did the Cap Click cigar pen and I finally got a couple of hours last night to play around . I really like the design but I think it would have looked better with a Black finial ring and Button , what do you think? . Eventually those parts will be made of brass and gold plated .

As always , comments are welcome .

I would rethink the gold plating, Butch.

The finial will get a tremendous amount of wear. And they would look GREAT in a matte black or the color of your choice, powder-coated. I think that would give you better durability.

The pen is a fantastic job, though---these things are tiny details!!!

GREAT work.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

penmaker56

Butch, it looks great! INMO I think that the finial and button look great as the same material as the body, maybe to equalize the black at the nose (gold, black, gold), have at the clip ring black, gold, black (like the Duofold pencils of the '20's) then the finial and button the same color as the body. That's if you wanted to change it, but why mess with perfection.

ldb2000

Thanks for the kind words everyone . When I finished the pen I gave it to my wife for a critique and while she was looking it over I saw that look that says "Nope" so I asked her why and she said "the button end just don't look right" . That was my first thought too so if I feel ambitious at some time I'm gonna change the finial ring to black but leave the body colored button .
Skip , the blank is cut on my HF 14" band saw using a finger joint jig that I made for these blanks .
I'm a Parker pen nut and have always loved the look of the striped Vacumatics . I was looking a picture of one and it struck me that I could get a similar effect my self so I gave it a shot and these blanks are the result . I have a Blue striped set of blanks I'm saving for special project .... as soon as I think of one :biggrin:

I'd like to say a special thanks to Richard for making these parts available to us . Up until now I was sacrificing dollar store click pens for the mechanisms , not that they are all that bad but they took a bit of work to use them for my purposes and they are just cheap plastic so it wasn't easy . Here's a link to the ones I used for these pens http://richardlgreenwald.com/mechanisms-p-28.html . They are very versatile mechanisms and work well , a little rough when brand new but the wear in nicely . If your thinking of getting away for regular kits Richards site is a must .

Top Bottom