Button click antler(modified)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is a kit from Berea,I don't care for it.
I was looking for a larger dia click.This takes an "R" bit and an 8 mm tube fits inside this one,but the dia.isn't as large as I would like.I did modify the screw pieces and embedded them in the center band.
I am going to hang on to this one to see how the mechanism holds out.
An 8 mm tube is needed on the 8mm mill shaft to mill the ends,the mechanism doesn't feel solid.(kind of like the old Bic "Clicks"
I bought 10 of these but they are the last ones I will ever buy.

041228225448_Buttonclick%20antler%20modified%20002.jpg

041228225527_Buttonclick%20antler%20modified%20006.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

Eagle, nice job on the pen, I agree about the kit, I didn't care much for it either. I've had two out five stop working.

R.T.

PenWorks

Nice cut lines Eagle for an antler pen. I hate to keep reapting myself,
I have never bought or made a click pen. I just keep hearing horor stories about them.
If we don't buy the crap they want to sell us,
just maybe some company will step up to the plate and invest .25 more in a good mechanism. Anthony

daledut

Eagle,
Before you give up on clicks, try the PSI Slimline Pro. I know some people don't like that one either but I have had good success with it. I have even done modifications like yours. Here are a couple exapmles.

20041229145218_Olivewood%205.jpg

2004122914534_DDUT1002lg.jpg

29145633_Bocote%20Slim%20Pro%20-%20wood%20band%205.jpg

G

Nice looking pens,how do they join together?
Screw in the center or a "joining" center ring?

daledut

They use a joining center ring. The tip unscrews to replace the refill.

I assemble the tubes and center band and then turn down the CB on the lathe so it id the same diam. as the brass tubes. Then I glue the blank up on the tube. Just make sure you keep track of which end of the tube is up because the CB extention is longer on the upper end and the click mechanism will not work right if you mix it up.

Also be careful when squaring the ends of the blank that your mill shaft does not damage the cb assembly. I turn the blank to a fairly uniform cylinder then use a straight edge clamp at 90 degrees to my sanding disc and square them that way.

G

I have a different method for turning down the CB.I slide it through a long screw driver and run it on the bed of my belsander like I scuff my tubes.
I rough turn the barrels and and mill teh CB separately.
it's trial and error for fit and length

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom