Butterscotch Bakelite Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from timcbs

timcbs

Hi Everyone,

Just pulled this one hot of the lathe, I now understand why everyone pays so much money for Bakelite, the stuff Turns, Polishes and looks Fantastic, this is the first pen I have made with Bakelite, the piece had a lot of small hairline cracks that made the pen look even better. IMHO

I used a Imperial Rhodium / 22k Gold Fountain Pen kit, that I bought from Craft Supply. The Butterscotch Bakelite I bought on Ebay, turned and polished with Micro-Fiber to 12,000

Let me know what you think about the pen.

Attachments

• Butterscotch1.jpg
    Butterscotch1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 436
  • Butterscotch2.jpg
    Butterscotch2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 301
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Overall it is great looking pen. It appears that the nib end of the barrel is rounded into a flat fitting, leaving a small gap between the barrel and the flat surface that it butts up against. I would not have done it that way. Maybe others would have. I hope you take that as the constructive criticism it is intended to be.

timcbs

Hi Mike,

I do take constructive criticism, that is way I ask what you think and yes you are correct I go a little carried away, I just started turning between centers...

gvanweerd

Thats some good looking stuff. It goes well with the kit. this makes me want to find some, and give it a spin.

omb76

Very nice! I turned my first piece of bakelite a couple of weeks ago... Stuff really burns your nose when you turn it, but it looks awesome!! I just ordered another piece from Exotics and can't wait for it to get here. Bright green! :)

Top Bottom