Butch's Private stash, Purple Haze, and a Pink Fade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from el_d

el_d

A little over a month ago I posted a pic of a Guardian I made for my Mother from one of MY favorite materials Nopal(Cactus) with reverse painted tubes in Pink. She loves it and gets ALOT of compliments on it.

She is dealing with cancer and has issues with the other type of pens I have made her, too thin, screw cap, dried out refills.......
As I thought about the Guardian kit I tried looking for something uniquely maternal...... DUH!!.......Mother of Pearl. I searched and really couldnt find anything that I thought my mother would like or found "Out of Stock" labels.

Then Butch posted his "Stash" and was kind enough to help me out. Thank you Butch! Great Job!!!

The Guardian is Abalone(I think??)
Pink is a woodcraft special(blank and wallstreet II kit)
Purple (I know, it looks blue.)is woodcraft blank with an imported flat top executive from A1penkits.

Thanks Butch.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello Lupe

Have to say great job with the pens and better job with the photos. They look very professional. Can be used in a magazine. Some of the best I have seen here. Could it be possible to give us a little insight as to what you are using?? What is your setup?? Are you using a light tent?? What is the backdrop material and how are you getting the focused light in the photo?? Is that done with a program or is that natural??? Am very interested in your technique. If you want to PM me you can do that also. Thanks and thanks for showing.

ldb2000

Great job on them Lupe !!! The Guardian came out great , I'm sure your Mom will love it (it is Paua Abalone by the way) . My wife saw the purple one and I'm still cleaning the drool off my keyboard , she has purple problems .... never seen a purple pen she didn't want :rolleyes::biggrin:
Great photos too , I cant get the shell blanks to show up that well .

el_d

Thanks for the encouragement guys it means a-lot coming from yuzz guyz.:biggrin:

Paua Abalone, Thanks Butch they blank came out great, now I need to take a trip down to San Antonio for delivery. Im sure she will love it.

el_d

Hello Lupe

Have to say great job with the pens and better job with the photos. They look very professional. Can be used in a magazine. Some of the best I have seen here. Could it be possible to give us a little insight as to what you are using?? What is your setup?? Are you using a light tent?? What is the backdrop material and how are you getting the focused light in the photo?? Is that done with a program or is that natural??? Am very interested in your technique. If you want to PM me you can do that also. Thanks and thanks for showing.

Hi John,
Thank you very much for the compliment. Wish I could say I had a a-lot to do with it but my set up is very simple, no tent ,natural light some clean up with PSElements6....
Later tonight Ill post a pic of my setup when I get home.

el_d

my set up

I spent alot of time and alot of money (for me:mad:) trying to get some good pics but I was wasting my time. I dont have the skill or the knowhow for the photography thing. I had seen Liggets photos and reading about him placing it on his front steps. I tried it. Whoa!! Took apart my tent and decided to take my pics outside from now on.

Anyway here is a shot of my photo "studio".

Just a plain piece of steel I use to place my pens on and shoot with my wifes Fuji 1000. I clean up the dust with PSElements 6 and add vignette(sp?).

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

jttheclockman

I spent alot of time and alot of money (for me:mad:) trying to get some good pics but I was wasting my time. I dont have the skill or the knowhow for the photography thing. I had seen Liggets photos and reading about him placing it on his front steps. I tried it. Whoa!! Took apart me tent and decided to take my pics outside from now on.

Just a plain piece of steel I use to place my pans on and shoot with my wifes Fuji 1000. I clean up the dust with PSElements 6 and add vignette(sp?).

So that is a plain silver piece of metal you lay the pens on and what we are seeing is the blue sky and cloud reflection??? Or is the metal painted and is airbrushed to give light and dark shades to it??? Trying to figure out how you got the blue tints. Thanks.

el_d

I spent alot of time and alot of money (for me:mad:) trying to get some good pics but I was wasting my time. I dont have the skill or the knowhow for the photography thing. I had seen Liggets photos and reading about him placing it on his front steps. I tried it. Whoa!! Took apart me tent and decided to take my pics outside from now on.

Just a plain piece of steel I use to place my pans on and shoot with my wifes Fuji 1000. I clean up the dust with PSElements 6 and add vignette(sp?).

So that is a plain silver piece of metal you lay the pens on and what we are seeing is the blue sky and cloud reflection??? Or is the metal painted and is airbrushed to give light and dark shades to it??? Trying to figure out how you got the blue tints. Thanks.

The blue tint on the backround is from the sky and clouds, I do have a thin coat of WD40 to keep it from rusting though.:wink:

Top Bottom