Butcher Block Hodge Podge? I Don't Know!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from shawnmhill

shawnmhill

Well, I have been wanting to try and build one of these for a while. I never did because I don't have a tablesaw or bandsaw. I know, I need to get one. I said "What the heck, figure it out".

I took 4 blanks: Osage Orange, Encarpement Cherry, Poplar(needed a light color) and bloodwood. Did I mention they were all different sizes? Glued them up. Now the fun part, don't laugh. I broke out the mitre saw and cut into 1/2" sections. Then glued again.

Now it's 1 1/2" square, Turned down with gouge then finished shaping with skew. Sand 400-0000, 8 coats of Med CA, 600 again then wet MM to 12k. Polished it up with Hut & Ren.

BTW. I wanted the blocks to be bigger at the ends then get smaller towards center.

I tried!

Attachments

• Hodge Podge.jpg
    Hodge Podge.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 249
  • Hodge Podge2.jpg
    Hodge Podge2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 290
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I really like it! I'm one of those guys that likes to "mix my green peas in with my mashed taters"! This really appeals to me.

I've never had the guts to "mix up my media" this radically, but I wish I had! Your use of contrasting materials, your attention to detail and overall execution look flawless.

Good Job!

Andrew Arndts

I think we are all missing the point. Shawn used a Manual Saw, so there be extra kudo's to the awesome pens.

Top Bottom