"Burls and Swirls" Barons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fishrule

Fishrule

Just prior to Christmas I placed an order with Ankrom Exotics for some of their "Burls and Swirls" blanks. The turning was straightforward, but the finishing was a challenge. I couldn't seem to get the same level of sheen on both the burl and the Alumilite. Plus, the wood dust seemed to scratch the Alumilite as I sanded. After much hand-polishing off-lathe, the final results were quite nice. Thanks to Pat and Lynn at Ankrom for supplying such beautiful materials.:good:

Attachments

• Ankrom-Group-1---web.jpg
    Ankrom-Group-1---web.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 369
  • Ankrom-Group-2---web.jpg
    Ankrom-Group-2---web.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 283
  • Baron-Ankrom-Blue-1---web.jpg
    Baron-Ankrom-Blue-1---web.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 258
  • Baron-Ankrom-Green-3---web.jpg
    Baron-Ankrom-Green-3---web.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Baron-Ankrom-Red-Purple-2---web.jpg
    Baron-Ankrom-Red-Purple-2---web.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 250
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fishrule

Thanks gentlemen,

Constant, I used six coats of medium CA over each. I agree, that should have evened out the sheen, but it didn't. Perhaps I should have polished the alumilite more before applying the CA

Dai Sensei

Great set of WW pens.

I use CA finish on mine without any problems. I use 2 coats of thin followed by 6 coats of thick min.

If you are getting a different finish on the wood to the resin, I would suggest you don't have a uniform coat of CA over both, or have sanded through the layers again :confused:

bitshird

Those are a fine looking batch of Barons, vice variety, I'm not sure why the wood dust would scratch the Alumilite though, if you apply enough coats of CA the whole pen should have the same gloss.

Top Bottom