Burls and Beans

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from karlkuehn

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlkuehn

Banned
Been playing with some Carbera kits. I really like these pens, they show off the blanks well, are simple to assemble, and fit together better than the Sierras (IMO). Kits are from Berea (via Ernie at Bear Tooth)

Michigan Black Cherry Burl with bright copper Carbera and Mylands 3-step finish:
BlackCherryBurl3_1.jpg

Ultramarine Blue Dyed Box Elder Burl with chrome Carbera and CA/BLO finish:
BoxElderBurlBlue1_2.jpg

My wife is the manager of a Starbucks satellite, so I wanted to make something unique for her. Every one is casting grape nuts, shredded wheat, corn cobs, rice, THEIR PARENTS ASHES (gah![:p]), so I figured I'd be able to pull off some coffee beans. Turned out even better than I'd hoped!

Coffee Beans cast in pearlized resin with shredded gold leaf, polished to MM 12000, plastic polish and micro wax. Kit is a satin copper Carbera. :):
CoffeeBean1_1.jpg

CoffeeBean1_2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

winpooh498

Very nice!
I have a block of "coffee beans" in the shop right now. Did you use a pressure pot? did you have a problem with floating? We don't have a PP and the beans floated so much that we had to put a piece of wood on top with a weight. I have tried to turn one blank from the block and my bean kept popping out, I am going to try again today.
Great job on them all!

louisbry

Great pens. I like the first one the best. The coffee bean one kinda unique. Did the beans cut through and if so did you stabalize them with CA?

karlkuehn

Banned
Yeah, the beans tried to float, so I weighted them down with a piece of wood as well. The pressure/vac pot helped to push the resin into the beans pretty well. The smell was wonderful while I was turning the pen, and I even considered not putting a finish on to keep the pen like a scratch and sniff, but in the end, I used a finish on them. [:)]

While I was turning, I didn't have any problems with the beans popping out, but I had also degreased them well before casting. They're pretty oily coming out of the bag. Really sharp tools helps, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom