Burl Oak Slimlines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jlmort1980

jlmort1980

Ok, Still very new to pen turning (less than 10 total pens), but a couple years ago I was walking through the woods when I found a couple of oak burls on some dead trees. I cut them off and put them in the garage thinking some day I would have a use for them. Well the other day I deciced to give one a try. So after many many hours I ended up finally completing my pen tonight. Sorry, I am not great with the photography yet and I have not had the balls or steps to do a CA finish. So here is my Slimline Burl Oak pen on gun metal finish. Please feel free to leave any positive or negative comments or any hints that may be useful. I am not real happy with the finish, but like I said all I know how to do right now is a friction finish.

Attachments

• 100_0859.JPG
    100_0859.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_0860.JPG
    100_0860.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 100_0861.jpg
    100_0861.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 193
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

They look good. You are off to a good start making pens. There are several good articles in the IAP library on ca finishing. Just step up and give it a go, it is not as hard as you might think. After seeing how nice that oak burl looks, I may have to start cutting on that 72 pound oak burl I have had in the corner of my shop drying for the last 3 years.

LarryDNJR

Looks good! Nice pieces of wood there. Don't knock the friction finish, it is how I started off and occasionally still use it.

bricketts528

They do look good! Beautiful wood! I was scared to try the CA finish but now use it most of the time! Give it a try, it's not that hard.

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I love that oak... You are doing a good job on the pens.. ca finish....... go to u tube and you will get all kinds of help. William Young is my favorite. his method works for me

Lenny

Those pens look very nice!
I had a good customer's husband cut some Oak burl for me as a gift. I had to let it dry quite awhile but I'm now starting to get some pens from it and I love the look!
Like others have said don't let the CA finish intimidate you .... even if it goes wrong it can always be trued back down with a skew or sandpaper :biggrin:
Watch the videos for lots of good ideas. Then give it a try. One thing I would recommend at first is to apply it very quickly and not linger too long, otherwise you will wind up with paper towel stuck to your pen! :):wink:

Your pens look great so they deserve a finish that will keep them looking that way! :)

Top Bottom