Burdekin Plum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dai Sensei

Dai Sensei

I was at one of our local timber market shows the other day and picked up a branch of some Burdekin Plum (on left). This timber is pretty rare as the tree is a sacred bush-tucker tree here for the local aborigines. I cut a length of to see what it was like and then cut that into some pen blanks, some normal and others cross-cut. It was amazing with browns, reds and blacks.

Although the cross-cuts blanks were a pain to turn, and I destroyed a few blanks in the process, the Rhodium Jr Gent 3 and Sierra click turned out great with amazing Chatoyance. Mind you, the other Sierra click is in normal cut, and also looks pretty good.

They are all finished CA and look great to me, wish I could have bought more, but I still have enough for around another 30-40 blanks.

Cheers

Attachments

• Burdekin plum and huon slab.jpg
    Burdekin plum and huon slab.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 380
  • Burdekin Plum Pen Blanks.jpg
    Burdekin Plum Pen Blanks.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,934
  • Burdekin Plum Set closed.jpg
    Burdekin Plum Set closed.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 649
  • Burdekin Plum Set open.JPG
    Burdekin Plum Set open.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 540
  • Burdekin Plum Sierras.jpg
    Burdekin Plum Sierras.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 481
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

beutiful set of pens there. That is some nice looking wood. Will have to add that to my list to search for.

nava1uni

The grain is amazing and the pens and workmanship are beautiful. Do the aborigines make things from the wood, like carvings, etc? Where in Australia does it grow and is it a fruit tree that provides fruit.?

Fred

Nice pens and great job on the finishing of them.

Now, what is a "bush-tucker", or do I really just need to avoid one/all of those creatures?

BTW, you say it is a sacred tree ... How has your 'sleep-time' been since cutting it? Noticed any weirdness about you lately! :eek:

Top Bottom