A bunch of TM platinum Zeta ballpoints

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chillicamper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice indeed !! . Would love to get some of that Tasmanian blackwood ... do you know where ?

BTW, those look like what I would call Elegant Sierras ... is the tube size 27/64" ?

Last edited:

Chillicamper

Very nicely done. I like the finish; may I ask what you used?

I quite like a slightly softer shine than a full gloss CA glue finish.....plus I cannot stand the smell of CA as it's applied. I suppose it's all a matter of personal preference some people love the glossy CA finish,some prefer a more natural wax look.

So I use a Shellac based fiction polish - mainly as a sealer, so only usually one coat.

Then its about 8-10 layers of Hut PPP polish (hard wax sticks that come in satin & gloss finishes) then it gets a coat or 2 of a microcrystaline wax (I'm using a tub of Chestnut microcyrstaline wax at the moment) as this seems to resist fingerprints a bit better.

With practice, I seem to be able to get a decent shine without the glassy gloss of CA. My sister has been usuing one of my pens for over 2 years and reports the finish seems to be holding up ok.

I have still resorted to CA for softer woods that need a bit more of a hard coat protection, but find I use the above method on most of my pens now. The bonus is I don't have to wear a mask when polishing. CA fumes really make me wheeze if I don't air the workshop and wear a mask.

Chillicamper

Very nice indeed !! . Would love to get some of that Tasmanian blackwood ... do you know where ?

BTW, those look like what I would call Elegant Sierras ... is the tube size 27/64" ?

I think I picked up this bit of wood a couple of years back from a UK turner. It's just been stting in the shed waiting for it's time - I am a bit of a timber hoarder!. To be honest it didn't look much before it was turned, but as it was polished, the grain blew me away!

It is similar to the Elegant Sierra, but not the same pen. The Zeta is a pen made exclusively for Taylors Mirfield - a UK supplier. He has been working with a lot of guys on the UK penturners forum to really try and push up the quality of the pen parts and I've never had an issue with anything he's sold (unlike some other suppliers).

The Zeta takes a 9mm drill bit, so I think thats nearly 23/64.

Chillicamper

Beautiful work! Are you sure that was a swamp 35,000 years ago ??? :rotfl:

:laugh:

I've only got a couple of tiny bits of Swamp Kauri left in the shed. It's getting blommin' hard to get hold of. The New Zealand Government are cracking down on export of the wood as it's such a rare resource.

It comes from massive prehistoric Kauri trees (I'm taking properly big trees like redwoods etc) that were knocked down and buried in swamps anywhere up to 50,000 years ago. Unlike Bog Oak, when they have been dug out of the peat and dried, the wood at the centre of these trees is not black, but it has got this golden almost crystaline shimmer in the grain - I think from all the minerals that have leached into the wood over the years.

In NZ you can still (if you have enough money) by tables etc made from Swamp Kauri.

Ancient Kauri Wood Oldest Workable Wood in World

OZturner

David, Yet Another Fantastic Presentation of Spectacular Timbers from your Treasure Trove of Wooden Wonders,
Love the Magnificent Tasmanian Blackwood, I can't say I have seen a Better Piece than what you used, It looks almost like a Burl, the markings are so Striking and Diverse, and Spectacular Colourings.
You mention that you give two coats of Chestnut microcyrstaline wax.
I am not aware of this product, I have been using the Renaissance Microcrystaline Wax, as used by the British Museum, and I find that gives me a good Sheen, yet Soft, and Resistant beautiful Finish.
Are you aware of any significant differences between these Products?
Congratulations once more,
Brian.

TonyL

Very nicely done. I like the finish; may I ask what you used?

I quite like a slightly softer shine than a full gloss CA glue finish.....plus I cannot stand the smell of CA as it's applied. I suppose it's all a matter of personal preference some people love the glossy CA finish,some prefer a more natural wax look.

So I use a Shellac based fiction polish - mainly as a sealer, so only usually one coat.

Then its about 8-10 layers of Hut PPP polish (hard wax sticks that come in satin & gloss finishes) then it gets a coat or 2 of a microcrystaline wax (I'm using a tub of Chestnut microcyrstaline wax at the moment) as this seems to resist fingerprints a bit better.

With practice, I seem to be able to get a decent shine without the glassy gloss of CA. My sister has been usuing one of my pens for over 2 years and reports the finish seems to be holding up ok.

I have still resorted to CA for softer woods that need a bit more of a hard coat protection, but find I use the above method on most of my pens now. The bonus is I don't have to wear a mask when polishing. CA fumes really make me wheeze if I don't air the workshop and wear a mask.

Thank you for describing your process. :)

Top Bottom