Bullets & Tobacco Stks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

Turned a couple of PSI Bolt Action pens today, one was for a customer and one was spec. Both have the bolt side modification. In the process of reviewing the instruction sheet that came with them I noticed there was an addition.

A note to check the tightness of the bolt set screw has been added.
PSIBoltActionInst.jpg

Both are Gun Metal, the customer's is dressed in Cocobolo, the spec pen is dressed in PSI woodland camo.

IMG_5480_79_1_Detail.jpg IMG_5483_2_4_Detail.jpg

I also had a Customer order a gold slimline, he wanted it dressed in a piece of his dads tobacco stick. I had him send me several 6 inch pieces. I choose what I thought had the best coloring but most of the color was washed out and being white oak there wasn't much to start with but it didn't turn out too bad. I made him a display stand out of the rest of the pieces(a freeby).

IMG_5477_6_8_Detail.jpg IMG_5474_3_5_Detail.jpg

C&C welcomed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

Those look great, I asked if they had any plans to change the bolt, and was advised that the engineneers says it won't work like that so no.

JD Combs Sr

Those look great, I asked if they had any plans to change the bolt, and was advised that the engineneers says it won't work like that so no.
Engineers are a strange lot:biggrin:, I know because I am a retired one:rolleyes:. However, these two have reversed bolt handles and clips and seem to work fine.:wink:

cwolfs69

boy i am glad i did not know that it would not work. all 20-30 i have sold and customers love would not have worked if i had known that. they were all changed to the other side.

hotwire55

Beautiful Pens! The bolt actions are something I haven't tried yet. The Slimline setting atop the tobacco stick caught my attention as well. Unique and handsome way to show it off! I live in tobacco country. Many people in this area of Ky. grow Dark Fired tobacco, and the sticks turn that color over time. Thanks for sharing! -Bobby_

SteveJ

Pens with a story like the tobacco stick are real treasures. I like the look of the tobacco pen - it is real nice, but pairing it with the stand makes it about perfect.

Sataro

The pens look great! I've turned a couple of the bolt action & I like them. That slimline design really looks good also. Nice way of displaying it.

Billy

JD Combs Sr

boy i am glad i did not know that it would not work. all 20-30 i have sold and customers love would not have worked if i had known that. they were all changed to the other side.
Ditto Charlie, would sure hate to recall sold ones:rolleyes:.

Very nice pens. I've turned several bolt action pen lately and cant keep them. I really like them. I gota get some more antler for another batch.
Mike, try some of the darker "gunstock" colored woods. I think those fit the theme well.

They look great. Nice work.
Thanks Ray, appreciate the compliment.

Beautiful Pens! The bolt actions are something I haven't tried yet. The Slimline setting atop the tobacco stick caught my attention as well. Unique and handsome way to show it off! I live in tobacco country. Many people in this area of Ky. grow Dark Fired tobacco, and the sticks turn that color over time. Thanks for sharing! -Bobby_
Bobby, always great to hear from a fellow Kentuckian. On the stick color or in this case the lack of same, these pieces looked to have stayed out in the weather a lot. The display base is actually from a tobacco stick I already have but I used the customers to make the stand-offs.

Pens with a story like the tobacco stick are real treasures. I like the look of the tobacco pen - it is real nice, but pairing it with the stand makes it about perfect.
Thanks Stephen, I wish I had a similar story or situation for every pen or thing I make.

JD, Many thanks. Please tell me more about the modification. Charlie
Charlie I sent you some info via PM but I think I will re-post it here also, It may help others.

"Charlie as I mentioned this is a copy paste of an email I sent to another that asked the same question. Just substitute your name.:wink: He initially asked if the clip had been relocated also."

"Hi Wally, you are correct, the clip has also been rotated. If you take a look at the button shaped finial on top of the pen it is not obvious but it screws on and holds the clip in place, you have to unscrew and remove it to turn the clip. However, it is not just a matter of rotating the clip because there is a notch in the top of the upper barrel for the clip to fit into. In order to rotate the clip another notch must be cut in the opposite side of the barrel. Some folks use a Dremel & burr but I used a small(1/16",1/2"x6") bastard file(more of a jewelers file but shaped like the traditional bastard file). BUT, you can't(easily) do either the Dremel or file without first knocking out the threaded brass fitting that the finial cap screws onto. You have to completely unscrew the bolt handle and remove it then remove the bolt(it will fall out). This gives you access to the thread brass fitting through the inside of the upper barrel. I have a piece of hardwood with a variety of sizes of holes drilled in it that I use for pen dis-assembly. I place the brass fitting into a "just-fit" hole and then using an appropriate size HF transfer punch inserted into the open end of the barrel, knock out the brass fitting with the punch and a light hammer(I use a brass hammer). This now gives you enough room to cut a new clip slot, by whatever method you choose. When reassembling everything I put a very, very small amount of CA on the brass fitting before pressing it back into place. Then you can reassembly the clip turned 180* and re-assemble-tighten the finial cap to hold it in place. I have also seen recommendations for putting some Locktite on the bolt handle threads when reassembling it also. In any case make sure the set screw is nice and tight after you get the bolt back into position(set screw toward open end, obviously).

Been a little long winded but you should be able to get it from here."

The pens look great! I've turned a couple of the bolt action & I like them. That slimline design really looks good also. Nice way of displaying it. Billy
Thanks Billy. The stand was kind of an after thought, just wish I could think of such things on a regular basis. Old age brain sucks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom