Bullets with belt leather!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

168622_138465916213482_100001502242963_229766_3677989_n.jpg

Made these at Dad's house with a brand new gouge. Bit of learning curve and the finish isn't quite how i like it, but they came out well enough. Made them out of a belt that belonged to a friend's son that passed away a little over a year ago. Hope the pens are well recieved.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
looks good . i have wanted to do a leather pen but not sure how to go about it.

Basically, we cut the belt in half, glued the halves together. Cut that in half and glued them into a taller stack. Kept doing that until it was thick ehough for a slimline tube and drilled, tubed and turned!
OR:

Attachments

• leather pen 00000a.jpg
    leather pen 00000a.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 157
  • leather pen 00001a.jpg
    leather pen 00001a.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 137
  • leather pen 00003a.jpg
    leather pen 00003a.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

Jgrden

I have spare leather scraps left over from my other hobby. I think I am going to give up on my other hobby. It has not made any money. I will trade leather for kits.

penmaker1967

what kind of glue do you use to glue up leather. i cut a old belt up and used med ca glue to glue it up. i have it sitting in the shop curing. is this the right glue to use or do i need to use expoxy.
thanks

Gary Beasley

We used the same. We spread a strip of glue on each side, rubbed them together to spread the glue then clamped it under a 2x2 for a good 20 minutes or more for each lamination.

Drstrangefart

what kind of glue do you use to glue up leather. i cut a old belt up and used med ca glue to glue it up. i have it sitting in the shop curing. is this the right glue to use or do i need to use expoxy.
thanks

One thing I prefer doing when I have the supplies is soaking the whole stack of leather in thin CA after the glue between the layers has dried fully. Helps make it a little easier to work on the lathe. Also helps it better survive the drilling process. We didn't do that on these two, and it worked out okay, but I was also on much nicer drill press and bandsaw than my own.

Drstrangefart

i have started a leather pen i will try to finsh it this weekend and get a pic posted. thanks for the help with mine

Not a problem. Keep in mind you'll want a freshly sharpened tool, and the leather will likely expand as it's turned, causing interesting effects at the bushings. It's also a tough, slow turn. Don't get too greedy. It's a pain to get the sides straightened out if you digress too far from the intended plan.

Top Bottom