Bullets, Antlers, & Lasers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hunterdave99

hunterdave99

Well only one laser.
These are my first attempts at working with antler.
In the extremely long thread on the Neje laser, someone mentioned that you could laser engrave antler with it so I gave it a shot.
First one is just a 30-06 bullet pen with plain antler.
The second one is a Magnum Bolt Action with antler I engraved with the Neje.
Both with 8 coats of thin and 8 coats of medium CA.
A word of advice, if you are going to laser antler, make sure you have plenty of ventilation. That smoke stinks to high heaven.
That piece of antler was a little porous so the laser left the surface very uneven. Never could get it back very smooth.
Still looks OK though. I will have to refine my technique a little.

Attachments

• 2017-04-08 17.07.27.jpg
    2017-04-08 17.07.27.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 353
  • 2017-04-08 17.06.58.jpg
    2017-04-08 17.06.58.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 350
  • 2017-04-08 17.06.31.jpg
    2017-04-08 17.06.31.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 444
  • 2017-04-08 17.05.55.jpg
    2017-04-08 17.05.55.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 384
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Yes, my thread on the little NEJE sort of took off, ha ha. I did a little test burn on a piece of antler in that thread, but haven't engraved any for real. I love what you've done--very original. Keep us posted as to your success.

Regards,
Michael

Dehn0045

I've only turned a few antler pens and must say that I really like how they look. but I LOVE how the engraving looks. I'm impressed by how much detail you were able to get out of the buck image. Beautiful work, thanks for sharing!

OZturner

Great Pens, David.
Love the Antler Blanks, and the Engraving.
There are no Rough Bits that we can see on the Photographs.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
Great Work.
Brian.

jcallen5917

looking for a laser for engraving

I've been looking for an affordable laser engraver. I just ran across your post. You have done some fine work with your Neje Laser. What wattage is your machine? Was it a kit you assembled? And, if you don't mind -how much did you pay? I need a laser engraver to burn a small logo on my wood pens. What software is required, or file format for graphics? Can you recommend a wed site or vendor?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry,
in Texas.
jcallen@twc.com

mecompco

I've been looking for an affordable laser engraver. I just ran across your post. You have done some fine work with your Neje Laser. What wattage is your machine? Was it a kit you assembled? And, if you don't mind -how much did you pay? I need a laser engraver to burn a small logo on my wood pens. What software is required, or file format for graphics? Can you recommend a wed site or vendor?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry,
in Texas.
jcallen@twc.com

This thread will keep you busy for a while: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/chinese-laser-engraver-140404/

It is mostly concerning the NEJE (and many clones) laser engraver. They come from 300mw up to 1.5w. Cheapest probably from gearbest.com (where I got mine), available at greater cost and faster, safer shipping from Amazon.com.

I fellow on the Pen Turner's FB page is currently making and selling rotary jigs for these to allow 360 engraving (I'm on the list for one).

Regards,
Michael

hunterdave99

I got mine from gearbest as well. 1 watt model. Caught it on a Christmas. Sale for $69 free shipping. Did take about a month to get to my APO military address here in Korea.
Very easy to use.
I've lasered paw prints, names, superhero emblems, etc
Works fine on unfinished wood and antler. Will not engrave acrylics or plastics.

Dehn0045

Thanks for all of the discussion and links guys. I thought engraving was out of my budget (guys talking like $10k), but you guys are getting nice results for 75 bucks. Sure, the Neje might not hold up for a production guy, but if I can get a handful of pens that look close what you guys have I'll be happy. Gonna order mine tonight.

As for the jig, it looks to me like it is important for the drive shaft to be the same diameter as the pen. I am thinking it might work to use the pen bushings for the drive portion and a spare mandrel for the shaft... Just an idea.

hunterdave99

Using the same size drive bushing will keep a 1 to 1 ratio on the vertical image size. You can shrink or enlarge the image vertically by changing that ratio via changing the drive bushing size. An example of that would be for an image that spirals completely around the pen more than 360 degrees.
For example: a pattern that runs on a 45 degree angle on the Neje software screen. If you had the drive bushing much smaller so that it is a 1:2 ratio you could have the image snake twice around the pen blank. That might be kind of cool for a set of paw prints or deer tracks.

hunterdave99

Thanks for the link. I will definitely be building that jig. Will solve a lot of problems

The first trials:

Great job. I will be building my jig this weekend. I like the thin metal frame. Does the blank spin freely on the shaft or is it a snug fit and the whole shaft spins in the jig? I figure whichever gives the least resistance.

Anglesachse

Thanks for the link. I will definitely be building that jig. Will solve a lot of problems

The first trials:

Great job. I will be building my jig this weekend. I like the thin metal frame. Does the blank spin freely on the shaft or is it a snug fit and the whole shaft spins in the jig? I figure whichever gives the least resistance.

Here is a pic showing the operation:
A drive bush is glued onto the brass tube, next the blank and second bush.
Then an O-ring holds the blank using the light pressure of the spring.

If you want the DXF for water cutting of the carriers, I can send it with a PM

Attachments

• Jig.JPG
    Jig.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Rotary.pdf
    46.9 KB · Views: 188

Jimmykoko2

I got mine from gearbest as well. 1 watt model. Caught it on a Christmas. Sale for $69 free shipping. Did take about a month to get to my APO military address here in Korea.

Very easy to use.

I've lasered paw prints, names, superhero emblems, etc

Works fine on unfinished wood and antler. Will not engrave acrylics or plastics.

Stay SAFE over there!

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom