Bullet pen question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mwildes

mwildes

My father-in-law passed away last week and was buried at Fort Sam National Cematary in San Antonio. I have the three of the shells used for his 21-gun salute and would like to make pens with them for a display with his flag and WWII medals. Who would you suggest that I contact to prepare the casings? I have made bullet pens from kits, and I have downloaded instructions on how to drill and prepare casings for making a pen. But, I have never performed this process and can not afford to screw this up! I would rather pay someone to do the prep work so it's done right. Thanks for your input.

Marty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Marty -- I have the casings from my fathers honors. The casings were blanks with the neck of the case crimped. The crimps needed to be swaged out with a reloading press. I happened to have that and had dies for the casings. I got about 6 and of those 4 were recoverable. Two of them had the case necks break (metal fatigue) at the crimps. Once the necks were straightened, you could still see the lines from the crimp (good from my perspective) -

You should be able to find a reloader to help you out closer to Georgia than I am, but I can do that for you.

Once deprimed and with the neck open, you choices include polish and clear coat or just use as is with tarnish and all (what I did).

I went for the chrome slimline nib -- but there are lots of choices

snyiper

There are a few members here who do a knock up job.
splinter99 as well as Sylvanite (Eric) and pssherman just to name a few I have dealt with.

GoodTurns

Sylvanite here on IAP is the right caliber guy to make them up for you! He has the nicest real cartridge set ups I have seen.
Jon

jskeen

I would recommend that you contact Eric at http://www.bulletpenkits.com and see if he is interested. If he will do the work, you are assured of the very highest quality finished product. You can also pm him here on the board at his username, Sylvanite.

I have not purchased his work personally, but my recommendation is based on his many posts on the subject here and his extensive knowledge of cartridges and pens made therefrom.

RichB

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I would use Eric. I lost instructions for a split pen I bought from him in 08 and he sent them to me. He is a great guy to work with and does great work.

Sylvanite

The kits

Here are a couple of teaser photos. The first is of the fired blanks. These ones are 30-06 caliber, and you can see the crimp marks in the case mouths. The second pic is of the completed kits. I look forward to seeing the finished pens.

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• FiredBlanks.jpg
    FiredBlanks.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Kits.jpg
    Kits.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 143

maxman400

Here are a couple of teaser photos. The first is of the fired blanks. These ones are 30-06 caliber, and you can see the crimp marks in the case mouths. The second pic is of the completed kits. I look forward to seeing the finished pens.

Regards,
Eric
They Look Good so far, I also look forward to seeing the finished pens.

Top Bottom