Bullet pen blues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigShed

BigShed

Made a few more bullet pens the other day, amongst them a couple in Blue Dymondwood, this has always worked well with the brass and copper of the bullet pens, here they are, 1 with a Euro clip in Gold, the other with a Euro Rifle clip in Gold.

IMG_1623-1.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Very Nice work there, I also like to part off the base of a second casing as the centerband rather than just letting the material endgrain sit against the base of the lower cartridge. I have actually drilled out some of the brass web in the base of the cartridge i'm using for the centerband so I can make it narrower if I'm using a slim clip and finial, but the wider ones match the euro finial pretty well. What caliber cartridges are you using, and are they readily available down under? Also, are you using fired casings and purchasing bullets separately, or are you disassembling new cartridges? Is ammunition difficult to come by down there and if so, is it a price thing or a government gun control issue?

Ligget

Fred I prefer the one without the rifle clip, this is just my personal taste but I think the rifle clips cheapen the look of a very well made pen, other than that great work!

BigShed

Very nice. I think you have done a very nice complimentary job here.

Thank you Karin.

Fred I prefer the one without the rifle clip, this is just my personal taste but I think the rifle clips cheapen the look of a very well made pen, other than that great work!

The rifle clip actually makes the pen more expensive!:biggrin:
Jokes aside, people that look at these pens are equally divided, half love the rifle clips, half hate them and think like you.
Me, I like them both.

Both, are fantastic looking pens Fred ! Not sure which clip I like best . Very nice !

Thank you Charles, always appreciate praise from a fellow pen turner.

Very Nice work there, I also like to part off the base of a second casing as the centerband rather than just letting the material endgrain sit against the base of the lower cartridge. I have actually drilled out some of the brass web in the base of the cartridge i'm using for the centerband so I can make it narrower if I'm using a slim clip and finial, but the wider ones match the euro finial pretty well. What caliber cartridges are you using, and are they readily available down under? Also, are you using fired casings and purchasing bullets separately, or are you disassembling new cartridges? Is ammunition difficult to come by down there and if so, is it a price thing or a government gun control issue?

The calibre used on these pens is .308, but I also use .3006, .303, .270 and .223. There are examples of all of those in my album.
Yes, they are readily available here, but you need to produce your gun licence to buy "live" ammo, I buy unprimed brass and separate projectiles (Sierra 155gr).

As I don't have a gun licence I can't buy live ammo, and wouldn't want to disassemble it anyway.

I have used fired casings at times, but don't particularly like them as the neck needs to be resized and there is usually a slight "bulge" at the primer end, they can also have some extra nicks and dings.

I'll stay away from the emotive subject of gun control, this is a pen forum.:wink:

Last edited:
Top Bottom