Bullet Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Splinter

Splinter

This is a Bullet Pen made using a 30.06 & .308 spent rifle cartridge and a bright copper slimline pen kit. The process is defined in Issue 19 (Fall 2008) of Woodturning Design. The cartridges are sanded, steel wool is used and then Brasso is used to get them cleaned and shining. They look great for a few days and then they begin to tarnish again. They can be shined up again with Brasso or just left to return to their normal tarnished state.

1_DSC06753-iap.jpg

And yes the tip of the refill is showing below the nib ONLY because I didn't retract the refill all the way before I took the photo.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Seems odd that such a project would be in a woodturning mag, considering it's hardly turned.

Skye

What's not to understand?

"WOOD" "TURNING" magazine. They have instructions on how to make a pen that neither wood, nor turned.

jttheclockman

I too got that magazine and thought it was well done. The idea of the segment was to introduce a new topic line and that was "Penmaking" Being this magaizine is limited in amount of issues they probably thought it was a good time to start with a simple "PEN" such as the cartridge pen being it is going to be hunting season soon in some places. They do show an alternative to the top part which is a turned piece of corian. I look forward to the column in each coming issue.

As far as this pen shown it is a great job putting it together. I am hoping to give these a try soon. I just about got all the parts. Might be a good seller.

Hosspen

Nice Pen! I reckon since there is no magazine for bullet "turning", bowling ball turning, or corncob turning it's alright to put some of this in a wood turning magazine, People buying these magazines are the people who are familiar with the pen kits & parts used in this type pen-no matter the material of lack of turning. Just my 2 cents worth. I can see it both ways ;-)

Top Bottom