Build up to a bulb filler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Twissy

Twissy

Once I made the separate parts I assembled the pen then turned the pen as a whole between centres. From 19.5mm down to 15 with a skew, then sanded the last half mm.
Always liked the look of the Jr retro finial so tried to emulate it here....pleased with the result. Not sure about the section shape. I was trying to mirror the shape of the end of the barrel. Will probably make a new section when my tap for #6 feeds arrives.
C&C's welcome.
Cheers
John

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

This was taken with my phone. Wish I'd taken one when it was 19.5mm thick...it looked like a christmas cracker on the lathe!
IMAG0394.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I see nothing wrong with anything! The section looks great, not the same'ol same'ol.... I like the fact there is something to hang onto!!

Great fit-n-finish on the cap too!

Scott

wizard

I think it looks absolutely great and wouldn't change a thing!!!!!!
Really love the retro top..very nice touch. I like the way you do your sections..a identifying characteristic of your work...really gives symmetry to the body/section portion of the pen. What a nice approach to work up to a bulb filler...:). Doc

BSea

I am also a fan of the Retro. I've been thinking of doing something along those lines. I guess you beat me to it:mad:. Great pen & I think you're right about the section. A 6mm nib will look better for the size pen you have. About the only thing I don't understand is the bulb filler reference.:confused:

D.Oliver

Love the shape and especially the retro finial!

About the only thing I don't understand is the bulb filler reference.:confused:

I think he is saying this is one step in his journey to build a bulb filler, but I might be wrong. It's happened before and I'm sure it will happen again.:biggrin:

Twissy

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.

Derek is right. I want to make a bulb filler, and this is the closest I could get to that by making the end of the converter accessible by removing the end cap of the barrel.

Twissy

John, If I may ask ..what size threads do you use for the tail end of the barrel? Doc

Hi Doc,
It was M9x0.75. I usually use this for the section threads, but on this one I used M10x1 because I was going to use a section from an Olympian Elite but didn't like the look of it.

Incidentally, some may find this useful, but the section threads from a Roman Harvest are M10x1 which opens up new avenues for those of us using the pre-made sections.
Regards
John

bluwolf

I don't care for the retro look, that's just personal preference. BUT I think you did a great job creating it. Very nice work on the finial. I think the pen came out very well.

Mike

Robert111

Very sharp pen! I love the finials and the overall profile. I agree with the person who said he'd prefer a #6 nib on this size pen, and I'd add that I prefer a clip that's a little shorter, for the length of the cap. Great job, John!

BSea

Love the shape and especially the retro finial!

About the only thing I don't understand is the bulb filler reference.:confused:

I think he is saying this is one step in his journey to build a bulb filler, but I might be wrong. It's happened before and I'm sure it will happen again.:biggrin:

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.

Derek is right. I want to make a bulb filler, and this is the closest I could get to that by making the end of the converter accessible by removing the end cap of the barrel.
Yeah, after I posted that I went out & was making a pen & thinking about yours . . . . . . . Then the light bulb came on. I figured you are going to convert it down the road, or were just practicing. Either way, I've been playing with a home made retro design today. Hopefully, I'll have something to show in a few weeks.

Top Bottom