Buffalo Jr. Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Woodnknots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

Here is my first experience with buffalo horn. Not bad, tends to crack and splinter a bit while turning it. The blank I got from a friend, and to do the statesman, I had to drill on the lathe using 25mm jaws to hold the blank, so I could ensure I got dead center. Even then, it was a hold-your-breath type drilling. I think he said he got the blank from PSI, it was one of the pre-rounded ones. No room for error when drilling this stuff, that's for sure. I'm actually in a dilemna, I turned this for a craft show next weekend, but now I don't know if I want to part with it!! Anyway, comments/critiques welcome.

2006423173230_buffalostatesman.jpg

2006423173246_buffstate1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

Beautiful pen. I vote keep it and watch for cracks for a couple months. This is another material that can crack long after the turning is finished. I hope it works out well for you whether you decide to keep it or sell it.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by woodpens
<br />Beautiful pen. I vote keep it and watch for cracks for a couple months. This is another material that can crack long after the turning is finished. I hope it works out well for you whether you decide to keep it or sell it.
Does that happen often? I know it tended to splinter while I was turning, but some CA filled the gaps and that was all it took. I wet sanded klingspore to 1500, then went back with 3600-12000 MM. I hit it with some plastic polish, and that was that. I am going to put it up for sale at the craft show next weekend, but if it doesn't sell, I'll probably keep it as a personal. Thanks for the heads up.

PenPauli

I made a buffalo horn jr. statesman and it cracked about 3 weeks later. It hase two hairline cracks in it now but I kept it for myself and its my favorite pen. I really like buffalo horn but I'm affraid to sell it.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by PenPauli
<br />I made a buffalo horn jr. statesman and it cracked about 3 weeks later. It hase two hairline cracks in it now but I kept it for myself and its my favorite pen. I really like buffalo horn but I'm affraid to sell it.
How bad are the cracks? I've seen snakewood crack as much as 1/16" or more after it began the cracking. If these are true hairline fractures, they shouldn't be too hard to fix, if not prevent all together, right? I'm just wondering if I sell this pen for say, $125 or so, and it cracks a few weeks later, it shouldn't be anything to disassemble and repair it, right? Just wondering.

woodpens

Originally posted by daveturns05
How bad are the cracks? I've seen snakewood crack as much as 1/16" or more after it began the cracking. If these are true hairline fractures, they shouldn't be too hard to fix, if not prevent all together, right? I'm just wondering if I sell this pen for say, $125 or so, and it cracks a few weeks later, it shouldn't be anything to disassemble and repair it, right? Just wondering.
I've seen cracks the full length of the barrel, not just hairline. It is very hard to predict what will happen. It is a brittle material that has been made thinner with stress added from the inside out. Like Ivory and Snakewood, it just kiils you to see such a beautiful and expensive piece ruined for no apparent reason.

OSCAR15

Dave.... I turned a buffalo horn Polaris over a year ago. Hasn't cracked or split yet.
Maybe I got lucky, maybe the blank I used was less prone..Who knows?
All I can do is tell you what I did. I got my blanks from PSI. They highly suggest soaking in water 15 hours before turning. I DID NOT.
I drilled very very slowly on drill press, stopping every 1/8 inch or so to remove shavings. I was sure to use a new and very sharp bit. This material (pretty much the same as our fingernails) is brittle. Go slowly. Heat from friction is a killer for sure.
On the lathe, I used only a gouge (again...VERY SHARP) taking shavings very slowly and methodically. Do not try to take a lot at once. When sanding I was careful not to allow it to get too hot. If it starts getting hot, stop, wait awhile, then continue.
You can see it in my album (Oscar15). Then again, with all this said and done, perhaps I just got lucky. As for your pen..I wouldn't sell it. It is beautiful. I would turn a few more like it. Then wait awhile to be sure it doesn't crack. Keep one for yourself, and sell the others. P.S. Don't it stink great when you turn it? My shop reeked for a week! Still...IT WAS Worth it!

Woodnknots

Originally posted by OSCAR15
<br />Dave.... I turned a buffalo horn Polaris over a year ago. Hasn't cracked or split yet.
Maybe I got lucky, maybe the blank I used was less prone..Who knows?
All I can do is tell you what I did. I got my blanks from PSI. They highly suggest soaking in water 15 hours before turning. I DID NOT.
I drilled very very slowly on drill press, stopping every 1/8 inch or so to remove shavings. I was sure to use a new and very sharp bit. This material (pretty much the same as our fingernails) is brittle. Go slowly. Heat from friction is a killer for sure.
On the lathe, I used only a gouge (again...VERY SHARP) taking shavings very slowly and methodically. Do not try to take a lot at once. When sanding I was careful not to allow it to get too hot. If it starts getting hot, stop, wait awhile, then continue.
You can see it in my album (Oscar15). Then again, with all this said and done, perhaps I just got lucky. As for your pen..I wouldn't sell it. It is beautiful. I would turn a few more like it. Then wait awhile to be sure it doesn't crack. Keep one for yourself, and sell the others. P.S. Don't it stink great when you turn it? My shop reeked for a week! Still...IT WAS Worth it!
Actually, it didn't stink at all. I was waiting for it, but I got only a mild odor from mine.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Personal experience: Keep the pen in normal conditions-not real hot, not real cold. The ones that crack (for me) have been to a show during the winter. I don't think water buffalo expected to encounter sub-freezing. This is when all of mine (6 or 7) cracked in one day.

ONE survived-I have no idea why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom