tonylumps

This is one of my 4 Buffalo Horn Pens that cracked.The PSI Disasembler works

Attachments

• DSC00264.JPG
    DSC00264.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 330
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Nice save. At least you do not lose the kit. keep working at the horn thing and maybe you will come up with a true cure.

Maverick KB

Try braso.
I will try it. Have not used it since Parris Island in 1960

You old salt! 2006 myself, but I went in a brown bagger older than my DI's.

Couple tips on the horn. They are the same protein found in your hair and fingernails... so a wonderful woman I have the pleasure of working with suggested treating it as such. We found boiled linseed oil works quite well at keeping the moisture in and preventing cracking. (we use a vacuum chamber to get penetration after drilling). We put a layer of Craftcoat over them when we're done "like a clear fingernail polish" to lock in as much moisture as we can.

Sometimes, gender point of view can be an advantage... perhaps my best tip, have a good woman in your shop. ;)

tonylumps

Try braso.
I will try it. Have not used it since Parris Island in 1960

You old salt! 2006 myself, but I went in a brown bagger older than my DI's.

Couple tips on the horn. They are the same protein found in your hair and fingernails... so a wonderful woman I have the pleasure of working with suggested treating it as such. We found boiled linseed oil works quite well at keeping the moisture in and preventing cracking. (we use a vacuum chamber to get penetration after drilling). We put a layer of Craftcoat over them when we're done "like a clear fingernail polish" to lock in as much moisture as we can.

Sometimes, gender point of view can be an advantage... perhaps my best tip, have a good woman in your shop. ;)

Thanks I will try it.

Maverick KB

Some stabilizing solutions can soak the wood for an extended period of time without a vacuum chamber. I have one, so I can not say how well penetration will work on horn without the use of a vacuum. I can say, it usually takes several hours before the bubbles stop. Typically we leave them overnight just to be sure. When they come out, they dry a little on a rack we made with a 2x4 scrap and some dowels (actually I think the original used disposable chopsticks from takeout) Once the BLO dries on the surface, we continue turning the blanks.

Keep in mind, I'm absolutely no expert in stabilization. I will say, I just pulled out a roll of buffalo horn pens that were intended for a wholesale bulk buy that never paid. After several months of being moved from room to room, building to building and eventually tucked on a shelf in the garage, these are not showing one sign of cracking or issue. We also have not seen one pen come back since we started this process over a year ago. Before that, a few would come back here and there.

If you have success with any other methods or ideas, please pass them along.
Happy Turning!

Last edited:

tonylumps

Some stabilizing solutions can soak the wood for an extended period of time without a vacuum chamber. I have one, so I can not say how well penetration will work on horn without the use of a vacuum. I can say, it usually takes several hours before the bubbles stop. Typically we leave them overnight just to be sure. When they come out, they dry a little on a rack we made with a 2x4 scrap and some dowels (actually I think the original used disposable chopsticks from takeout) Once the BLO dries on the surface, we continue turning the blanks.

Keep in mind, I'm absolutely no expert in stabilization. I will say, I just pulled out a roll of buffalo horn pens that were intended for a wholesale bulk buy that never paid. After several months of being moved from room to room, building to building and eventually tucked on a shelf in the garage, these are not showing one sign of cracking or issue. We also have not seen one pen come back since we started this process over a year ago. Before that, a few would come back here and there.

If you have success with any other methods or ideas, please pass them along.
Happy Turning!

I put them in the Vac. chamber for about an hour Very few bubbles came out with a 7MM hole drilled out. Took them out and let them soak more on the BLO Tomorrow will let them dry enough to drill out a pen tube.Then back in the chamber for awhile.Build a pen and see what happens.Will let you know. I still have 2 built. One I sold about 2 months ago.They are fine so far.

Top Bottom