Buffalo horn.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ligget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ligget

Hi folks,
As I have a lot of black Asian Water Buffalo horn lying around my garage (I use it also for sherherds crooks and walking stick handles), I decided to try making a slimline from it.
The bottom may be too wide for some people, but I like it.
The photo is rubbish, it missed a lot of detail in the clip, band etc.

200522715634_Picture%20017.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

You're right the photo isn't much but the pen looks nice. Water buffalo horn is black all the way through? If so, I might have found a horn I like for accent bands. Been looking for something natural to mix with the woods.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice looking pen, Mark..looks like that black really shines..

..you mention the pen is "Asian" water buffalo horn...dumb question maybe, but is all buffalo horn like that or are there differences...and can you share your source..?

Ligget

Buffalo horn is normally black with the odd greyish streak here and there.
You can buy coloured horn blues, greens etc, however they are VERY expensive. I have seen a pair from an albino buffalo the horn being very light grey but because these are rare the would cost an arm and a leg.
I buy all my horn from Martin Hyslop at Hillend Horn Company based in Glasgow, Scotland, he doesn`t have a web site but you can order from him by Email and he will post worldwide.
Martin`s Email is hillhornco@ntlworld.com tell him that I Mark Ligget gave you his Email and you want a great price on horn pen rounds and shipping costs.
To answer another question, Asian covers all areas, indian buffalo etc.

Tom McMillan

Yes, Kirk---Practicality is very important. My former Pastor had Lou Gerig's disease and I made him a pen on a larger scale to make it easier to hold as he was losing his muscular control.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
From what I can see it's a nice looking pen though I am not crazy about the bottom,but as you say you like it.
I am curious as to where you get a slim line kit with a ball end on the clip?It looks similar to some Euro Styles I have seen.
I have seen that type of horn advertised occasionally,Think I'm going to try some.

Ligget

I have never tried turning antler yet, so I cannot comment.
Slimline pen kit was purchased from Turners Retreat in England, UK, the kit with the ball end on the clip is called DECO.
Email:sales@turners-retreat.co.uk

Ryan

Just thought I would let everyone know that Water Buffalo Horn is available at Craft Supply. I have heard that the horn is made from matted hair. Can you imagine the smell when turning this?

Ryan

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Nice pen Mark! You and Mike in Greece have got me started! I included a water buffalo horn blank in my CUSA order for the on sale Jr Gent kits, and now am looking everywhere for a source for Irish bog oak. If I a) find some bog oak, and b) do a good job on it, it will be my personal pen for many years since my heritage is Irish. Again, nice pen.

Ligget

William, you will love working buffalo, when finished it looks like onyx (found in rings).
The only problem, "if it is one", is the odd greyish streak. It stops the pen being truly black.
Remember to finish the same as acrylic, can`t wait to see it!
Mark

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by HISNIBS
<br />William, you will love working buffalo, when finished it looks like onyx (found in rings).
The only problem, "if it is one", is the odd greyish streak. It stops the pen being truly black.
Remember to finish the same as acrylic, can`t wait to see it!
Mark
Mark,
I checked the mail box as soon as I got home, but no package from CUSA yet. I made the order online last night, you would think I would have it by today. [:D]

I am one of those who enjoys planning the pen almost as much as I enjoy the turning. It drives my son crazy, as he has no patience at all. If it turns out, I'll post it. If not, I'll hope you forget about it. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom