Buffalo gun pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Docsmith45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Docsmith45

I had been playing with the idea of a 45-70 caliber pen for a while. The brass and the cap are from 45-70 casings. The body is whitetail antler with a buffalo horn inset. This caliber was popular with Buffalo hunters in the later 1800s. Buffalo Bill Cody shot his numerous buffalo with a 45-70 Springfield he called Lucretia Borgia.

200581214831_DSCF0043.jpg

200581215555_DSCF0044.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ben

Please don't take offense to what I'm about to say, but (sorry eagle) I NORMALLY can't stand these bullet pens, but HOLD THE PHONES I SAY!!! YOU HAVE CONVERTED ME!!! I ABSOLUTLY LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS PEN, EVEN THE FACT THAT IT IS GOLD... YOU TRULY OUTDID YOURSELF! EXCELLENT INGENUITY! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK( and Eagle, I think it's time for me to check out YOUR posts once again... This time with an ENTIRELY NEW PERSPECTIVE!)

200581234117_well%20done.gif

Ben...

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
At first look it is a striking pen.
Did you consider"hiding" the OEM parts so just the casing and antler would show?
I love that finial.Do you mind if I steal i mean borow that idea.
I have made cigar based bullet pens but didn't consider using the casing for the finial.

M

Mudder

Nice Pen Doc,

I like the rim finial.

Does anybody know how the 45-70 got it's name?

Here is a few hints....
45-70-405
45-70-500
45-90
44-40
38-40
38-55
32-40
25-20

There are probably more but it's been a few years since I was an active shooter/collector.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by terry q
<br />Caliber and grains of black powder. Outstanding pen. This is the first bullet pen I like as well.

Terry

Very good.

But what about the 38-40? the bullet is actually a 40 calber?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The first set of numbers represents the approximate outside diameter of the projectile (expressed as a decimal, i.e. 45 is a 0.45" o/d projectile). The second number is typically (but not always) the year of invention.

Turnitall

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />The first set of numbers represents the approximate outside diameter of the projectile (expressed as a decimal, i.e. 45 is a 0.45" o/d projectile). The second number is typically (but not always) the year of invention.

Actually that only holds true for most smokeless powder cartridges... the more modern stuff like the 30-06 etc..
The original black powder cartridges were usually classified by the bullet diameter and the amount of blackpowder, in grains, that the cartridge held... 25/20, 44/40, 45/70, etc.
The system of using the year of development did not really come into being until the development of modern smokeless cartridges... and even then it is iffy at best...
For example the 30-30 which is one of the most popular deer hunting cartridges and loaded with smokeless powder was originally a blackpowder cartridge... derived from the 38-55 by necking it down to 30 caliber...

Docsmith45

You are correct. That's a H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic rifle. I've been shooting it for a couple years. After seeing the pen in a picture I asked myself why I used the stock center band. It would look better without it. Oh well, next time. The 45-70 does stand for 45 caliber with 70 grains of black powder. That is exactly what I shoot in this rifle.

PenWorks

See Lou, you learn something new every day. [:)] We will turn you into a shooter/loader yet one of these days, if you keep hangin around this PEN site. [:D]

I think you should take some of your pens, and go trade them for some firearms, if you can own one in the DC area. Welcome to the wild west [:p]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />See Lou, you learn something new every day. [:)] We will turn you into a shooter/loader yet one of these days, if you keep hangin around this PEN site. [:D]

I think you should take some of your pens, and go trade them for some firearms, if you can own one in the DC area. Welcome to the wild west [:p]
I learned TWO things today. First of all, some of what this black powder is about. Second, answer the right question. The answer I gave was based on a memory of my first Gunny Sergeant back in '69 making sure I knew all about the "weapons" that I was never gonna carry.

As for owning a gun in Virginia, heck, they restrict us to buying one gun a month... of course, you can get a concealed carry permit, so who knows? I might be a closet shootist. [:D]

Sorry for the mystery non-edit. I hit the wrong key. [:p]

alamocdc

Doc, like Ben, I've never really cared much for casing pens. I know that much hard work and fine quality craftsmanship has gone into them, but it's just a matter of preference. However, this one really grabbed me. Bravo, I say! [^] Great job all the way 'round! I love everything about it!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />Nice Pen Doc,

I like the rim finial.

Does anybody know how the 45-70 got it's name?

Here is a few hints....
45-70-405
45-70-500
45-90
44-40
38-40
38-55
32-40
25-20

There are probably more but it's been a few years since I was an active shooter/collector.
\

The first number is the nominal caliber, the second number is the weight in grains of blackpowder that constituted the load. For those with a third number, it designates the weight of the projectile. Most common in popular use today is the 30-30, originally a blackpowder load. Today, the case size remains the same but the load of modern smokeless powder is based on different standards than the low-pressure black powder. The 45-70 is still in use today, but similarly with modern smokeless powders..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom